Building a garage bigger than 30m2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to build a garage at the end of our garden that backs onto an un-adopted, un-made road. Ideally I'd build a 4x6m garage with a workshop on the side approx 3.5x3m. This takes me slightly over the 30m2 limit for permitted development without building regs. What would I need to do to make it legal? Is it much effort or should I just down scale so I fit under the limit?

Sponsored Links
dont forget if you have a green house shed or any other structure[coal bunker ect]they count towards the 30 square metres

also the height has been reduced recently used to be 3m flat and 4m sloping but now reduced

Thanks for the reply. The sheds are going, to be replaced by the garage so that should be OK.

I'm still abit unsure about roof height.
From the planning portal:
#
#
Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
#
Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.

It's just a regular town house and will be right up to the boundary of my neighbour's garden, although about 12m from the house . Does that mean I'm limited to a 2.5m flat roof, or that it only needs to be less than 2.5m within 2.5m of the boundary?

closeness to the boundery used to only be relivent if the building was flamable [wood] but now i think it refers to the impact off height

my shed should have been 1m from the fence each side but as my garden is only 3.6m accross i overlook that point but kept the people each side on board with the desighn and keeping the roof down around 2.8 m high
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/bigall2005/?action=view&current=e1e47346.pbw

Sponsored Links
Permitted development (ie planning) has nothing to do with the 30m2 b/regs limit

The idea is that if the building catches fire, then the flames wont leap across the boundary ..... so to satisfy the b/regs you need to build it out of predominantly fire resistant materials, and pay attention to any openings (size) on the boundary elevation.

Permitted development (ie planning) has nothing to do with the 30m2 b/regs limit

The idea is that if the building catches fire, then the flames wont leap across the boundary ..... so to satisfy the b/regs you need to build it out of predominantly fire resistant materials, and pay attention to any openings (size) on the boundary elevation.
woody the man that knows ;)
thanks for correcting me again woods :D :D

Sorry, I was not replying to, or correcting you big-all ... I was just replying to the OP's first post :cool:

woods you find it easier than i do to diffirenciate between planning and building regs somtimes
and your practical knowlage and information is as always spot on :D

thats the good thing about this forum we can give information knowing its nearly correct and know it will be corrected before the information becomes misunderstood and unhelpfully wrong ;)

woody, is that pretty much all it needs to comply? I was going to use concrete blocks on all boundaries. What about water and electrics? Anything else I might need to do to make it comply?

There are two bits, planning and building regs.

If you're over 30 sqm then you need building regs. As you are building by the boundary you would also need building regs for anything over (I think) 12 sqm unless it is subtantially non-combustible.

Planning is then on top of that and is the bit that says you can't go over 2.5m tall if you're building on a boundary.

So your current plan does need building regs and will need planning if you want to put on a pitched roof.

Oh and electrics are all Part P governed outside so you either need a sparky who can properly sign off or else to include them in your building regs approval (who I'm fairly sure will have something to say about the water too).

wysinawyg, are you saying that he need not follow building regs if under that size?

Or were you meaning he needs planning permission over that size, surely building regs need following no matter what the size :D

Building Regulations

If you want to put up small detached buildings such as a garden shed or summerhouse in your garden, building regulations will not normally apply if the floor area of the building is less than 15 square metres.

If the floor area of the building is between 15 square metres and 30 square metres, you will not normally be required to apply for building regulations approval providing that the building is either at least one metre from any boundary or it is constructed of substantially non-combustible materials.

courtesy of the PP

Can anyone confirm how the 30m2 is calculated? Is it the total external footprint or the internal floorspace? Is this written down anywhere, I can't find it on the planning portal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back