Siemens panel heaters and timeswitch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a rented flat, and I'm trying to work out how the Siemens electric heating system works.

I have a number of Siemens electric heaters, which are each connected to a fused power switch on the wall. I also have a RWB7 timeswitch (link below) which is installed in a cupboard within the flat.

http://www.industry.siemens.co.uk/b...l-controls/documentation/Documents/rwb7_i.pdf

The RWB7 is currently set to 'OFF', however if I turn a heater on using the power switch on the wall, it immediately comes on and starts warming up to the temperature set using the dial on the heater itself (picture below). The right-hand red LED comes on if the heater is warming up, and off when it has reached the temperature.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/100/img0118is.jpg/

What I can't work out, is what the timeswitch actually does. When the timeswitch is set to 'ON', the left-hand green LED (marked EC0) is lit. The right-hand red LED will actually also turn off(!) and the heater will stop warming up if the green LED is on, although turning up the temperature dial will cause the red LED to light up again (resulting in both LEDs being lit).

I'm a little stumped. I would have expected the heaters to only warm up when both (1) the green LED is lit - i.e. timeswitch is ON, and (2) the red LED is lit - i.e. room temperature is low enough. But this isn't the case. The red LED is lit whenever the temperature is low enough, it would seem. This causes the heater to be on despite the ON or OFF setting of the timeswitch.

Can anyone enlighten me? Below is a picture of the label on the top of the heater.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/img0117wy.jpg/

Sponsored Links
what is the model of the heaters?
I recall coming across these before
if my memory serves correctly they can be operated indepenantly or you can put them in a remote mode whereas the time clock will turn them all on/off as in a conventional heating system
You may be better posting this in the electric section I will alert mods for you

Matt

Hi if it is a "compact" model then there is an extra terminal to connect to a time clock to enable an automatic setback temp
described on page 2 of this brochure
do you have the user manual?

Matt

Sponsored Links
It doesn't look like the "compact" model - it looks like the "unique" model, looking at that brochure.

I'm afraid I don't have a user manual for it :(

Tom

From what I can tell:

Timeswitch OFF - heaters are on if the room temperature is below the thermostat level on the heaters.

Timeswitch ON - ECO/EC0 LED is lit, heaters are on if the room temperature is around 5 degrees cooler than the thermostat level on the heaters.

I really don't understand the usefulness of this setup!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back