Siemens SN25M570GB/17 Dishwasher salty dishes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My dishwasher has started leaving a salty film over the crockery and glasses after washing.

I have:
  • Checked the salt container is tightly closed
  • Reduced the hardwater setting to minimum
  • Used only basic tablets, containing no salt
  • Checked the sump and drain for blockages and cleaned the filters
  • Cleaned the machine using Bosch cleaner on a hot programme, and used descaler.
It seems to me that salty water from the water softener is getting into the wash water. I have read somewhere that there is a valve that controls this, and that it could be faulty, but there were no more details. Can anyone confirm if that is the likely fault?

If so, is it a diy repair? I'm fairly handy, and have had the panels off the machine and changed the controller board in the past, but have never ventured deep into its bowels before.

Or if I'm barking up the wrong tree, what should I look at instead?

Grateful for any advice, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes check the salt container valve, usually the valve itself continues to function correctly but the rubber gasket/plunger wears and no longer creates a seal so salt water is constantly added to the wash/rinse cycles leaving the residue on dishes.
The valve is sometimes hard to gain access without having to remove the salt container from the underside of the tub, as its attached to the side of the salt container. Ohhers are easy to access by simply removing the left side panel.

Last edited:
@yardie - thanks for taking the trouble to reply. I've had the left side panel off before, so I'll do that again and see if I can get at the valve.

Sponsored Links
There will be considerable water spillage when removing the valve unless you drain the water softener container first.

You might get away with just cleaning the gasket/plunger and housing it sits in but usually the whole valve assembly requires replacing.

Test the valve does work first though. Should be 240v, so you can connect directly to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back