Signal Booster or Masthead Amplifier?

Sponsored Links
If your intention is to fit the aerial in the loft then you'll be able to get either of your linked devices very close to the aerial. That's the best place for any powered splitter. The masthead amp does more-or-less the same job as the indoor splitter. The differences are that it has a weatherproof housing so can live outside, and it has a low voltage DC power via a remote feed using one of the coax cables so you don't need to worry about 240V up to a chimney.

Of the two, my preference would be the Labgear masthead splitter. There are a couple of reasons for this. Although it has a lot of boost, that level is also adjustable down 9dB, so it's a bit less than the SLX which is fixed at 11dB. Second, the Labgear uses F connectors - the screw-on type also used for satellite box connections. These are easy to fit, IMO they're also a little more secure than standard push-in aerial plugs. Also, since the bare wire makes contact onside the socket then DC power won't (or shouldn't be) flaky.

There are some other questions you should really look in to such as how much amplification you actually need, the type of aerial you plan to use, how well the aerial's gain profile fits your local transmitter, the state of your coax downleads (are they double-shielded or older single-shielded jobs) etc etc. If you want help with that then we are here.

Thanks Lucid.

I’m planning to use this aerial Labgear LAB450T Very High Gain TV Aerial , Silver / Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I7TU...t_i_9SXTVR40ST7GFQJPY9FB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

There is a double socket in the loft which is used to plug in a low energy light. The socket is off the light ring main! Was there when we moved in. As the booster is low voltage this should be ok to used or I might spur off a fused socket.

we are on the edge of a strong signal area.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

After our chimney got blown down on Friday I am planning to install a new aerial in the loft.

Is it best to use a signal booster straight after the aerial or a masthead amplifier? This will need to feed five TVs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DCVX..._dp_9FENHEY88WYBEZE8TEJ0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PKKTRBI/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_4J4DQFQSA7A09PAS0N0M

Thanks

First you need to measure the output from the aerial to decide whether you need a booster. A six way passive splitter loses around 12 dB which won't matter is you have plenty of signal.

There is a double socket in the loft which is used to plug in a low energy light. The socket is off the light ring main!

Lights are not on rings, they are radials.
13 amp sockets should not be on the lighting circuit. Get this attended to before using it.

As I said above you may not need a booster.

"13 amp sockets should not be on the lighting circuit." why not? you always say this but it doesnt matter, the socket could have been there for just this sort of use.

if you do choose the wolsey as lucid suggests its cheaper here
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjR1Lmf9Y72AhXIUMAKHR0XAv0QFnoECBEQAQ&url=https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1937655675&usg=AOvVaw0jvzqjrf5kZ3vh4BJtIy-u

do you know which transmitter your aerial was pointing towards before the chimney fall?

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
"13 amp sockets should not be on the lighting circuit." why not? you always say this but it doesn't matter, the socket could have been there for just this sort of use.

Because someone may plug in a 13 amp load (think wife and high power vacuum cleaner because loft is dirty) and plunge the place into darkness when the circuit trips, followed by a foot or worse through the ceiling.

13 amp sockets are designed for power circuits and that is where they should be used.

I’m planning to use this aerial Labgear LAB450T Very High Gain TV Aerial , Silver / Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I7TU...t_i_9SXTVR40ST7GFQJPY9FB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

That kind of aerial is known as a tri-boom. They were never great aerials when we had the full tuning range from RF ch21 to 68. Since the 800MHz clearance, and the 700MHz clearance which is still ongoing, the eventual RF channel range will be from 21 to 49. The third or so that's going to be missing (50-68) corresponds to where tri-booms have most of their gain. In other words, where the tri-boom is strongest there will be no TV broadcasts. This is the same for a lot of the older wideband aerials.

Incidentally, the 'black' bit of the description actually means something. Aerials are split in to Groups depending on how much- and what portion of the RF channel range they cover. We used to have Red, Yellow, Green, Brown and Black, with Black as marked by the colour of the end cap covering the whole range but at a lower overall gain compared with those aerials with a more limited range.

grouped.jpg

The idea with tri-booms is that having three booms allows for as much metal in the form of the directors as a longer Yagi but in a shorter aerial. That's alright in theory, but there are some other factors that come in to play. One is the construction of the aerial. Thin bits of aluminium bent to give them some strength don't work as effectively as solid or tubular bar. The other issue is less relevant to you because you're not planning to mount the aerial outside. It's that tri-booms are both heavy compared to more conventional aerials but also that they catch the wind more too. A couple of things come from this this. It puts a lot of strain on the bracket and the brickwork. I have seen these things lever bricks loose when mounted on the cheap pressed steel brackets. Second, they fall to bits quite quickly. The two back panels of the aerial are the reflectors. The number of tri-booms I see that still look relatively shiny and yet have one or both reflectors missing.

You won't have the weather problem of course. But I'd still think twice before spending money on a tri-boom.

I know why tri-booms have been and continue to be popular. They look like "a lot of aerial" (think: bragging rights), and they promise the highest gain. Anyone with no real knowledge of aerials could be easily persuaded that these are 'the best' without really appreciating the pitfalls.

You say you're on the edge of a strong signal area. Does that mean you had/have a strong signal before, or are you saying that although the Sudbury transmitter is quite powerful, you live on the margin or fringe of the area and so your signal was never that strong?

Putting an aerial in a loft knocks the reception power down a little. Where you mount it in the loft can also affect the signal level it generates. It's not always the case that the centre of the loft gets the best signal. You really need to try the aerial in different places and watch what it does to signal level and quality.

Thanks Sureitsoff? Great find.

I mucked up the links. I think Lucid was referring to this Labgear one. Labgear LDA2061LR 6 Way Distribution Amplifier - 4G Filtered Amp For TV/FM/DAB Signals For 6 TVs RED Compliant https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J623...t_i_ZJW393P2GRDV56BZ6AGP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Actually, of all he three amps you've linked so far, my personal choice is still the WOLSEY WFAV622. It's the only one with variable (adjustable) gain levels. This is not the same as saying that it's the best choice outright of any amplified splitter; just out of the three you've linked this would be the one I'd fit if those were my only choices.

As Winston says, you might be able to do this with a passive splitter depending on how much field strength you get in the loft and how much of that the aerial translates in to useful signal.

Lucid you have been amazing.

What aerial & masthead amplifier or signal booster would you fit?

I was looking at this aerial
Why? It is a T group aerial up to ch60 which is not required now.
It is not as described as it is a 7 element aerial not 32. They have counted the 5 directors 4 times, the dipole twice, and the reflector 10 times.

As for the area, we had a strong signal before but are surrounded by a few high trees. This is where we are as to the strong signal in green

What aerial & masthead amplifier or signal booster would you fit?

The guys at Aerials and TV know their stuff and they sell good gear, not the Bacofoil crappy stuff that the DIY stores and catalogue shops sell. The Crossbeam XB10K will get you plenty of signal so long as you can fit it in your loft. It's about 5ft in length and the height of it's rear reflectors is around 2ft 3".

Where you're more limited in loft space then consider the Log36, but bare in mind that it's lower in gain. I take a pragmatic view here. The XB10K pulls in more signal, but if there's no chance it'll fit or you can't get it positioned for the best results then it won't matter how good it is.

I take an equally pragmatic approach with signal distribution. Passives are best because they add no noise. However, if there's not much signal coming from the aerial, and you're losing a lot of it through the cabling, then worrying about a couple of dB noise doesn't make sense when the TVs have no signal.

For a Pro installer such as me, I'd come on site with my meter and measure signal strength and quality with a basic Log periodic aerial. I'd also estimate the signal losses due to cable type and length, and how many joints and fly leads for the TV furthest away. Knowing that I'd want around 50dB at the TV set, and adding back the losses - say 6dB as a figure out of the air - then I could look at a 6-way passive splitter with 10dB of loss and add that too.

50+6+10 = 66dB.

If I've got significantly less than that from the aerial then I know that the answer is an active splitter. It'll add some noise too, but that's an acceptable trade-off.

As a DIYer though you won't have this detailed info about the aerial signal level. You're working in the dark, and possibly looking to complete this as a one-hit job rather than doing it in stages testing gear and swapping stuff out. As I see it, your options are either the Wolsey masthead amp with variable level so at least you can dial in an appropriate amount of amplification. That, or get a local Pro in to do the job with proper measurements. It'll cost more of course, and you might have to search a bit to find someone who can supply the same aerial choice as ATV, but it'll get done quicker and you'll have a guarantee over the reception quality despite the challenges of the trees.

Last edited:
I’ve installed a Yagi18k in the loft.

using the existing passive splitters I get all freebies channels on the TV with the shortest cable run, no BBC on the tv with the medium run but all other channels and very poor reception on the tvs with the longest run.

Next step to install a Wolsey mast amplifier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back