Power a masthead amplifier using lighting cable?

It's not one of those.
Would it be possible to power this masthead amplifier using the feed to the light switch?

The amplifier in the picture is powered by 12 volts sent UP one of the co-ax cables that come from the mast head amplifier outputs. ( Signal OUT power IN )
The PSU goes behind any one of the televisions.
The lead from the mast head amplifier goes into one of the sockets on the PSU ( SIGNAL IN 12 volts OUT ) and a lead from the other socket on the PSU connects to the TV aerial socket.

Whoaa! Game changer:oops:

I now know what you mean. It took me a while because I couldn't get my head round the fact one cable will have the signal going one direction yet power going the other - had to go away for a while and use Google & YouTube!

After reading a review on Amazon from a previous purchaser about how he already had a socket in his loft I assumed it had to be that way. I also thought you fed the cable from the mast into the PSU which amplified the signal then from the PSU to the splitter (as I call it). Managed to find a large image of the splitter to read the print on it.

I also read there's 2 ways of boosting the signal. I hope this way isn't a glorified version of the ones you get from Argos that people moan about having no effect. That being said, I've just checked Argos and the reviews now seem to be fairly positive, so much so, that I'm thinking of getting this instead since it seems simpler and less hassle. Is this the same thing and just as good?

I realise this is going almost completely off the original question but it's starting to look like I don't need a PSU in the loft, therefore no power socket needed! At least it's still to do with electrical:D

Sponsored Links
It's not one of those.
Picture, description, reviews and questions on the site linked to all state otherwise.
Yes, I've just realised, the link I gave has got 57 reviews with better information. I then went and bookmarked the 6 output version with less reviews and information.
Rule 1: Check your own bloomin' references:rolleyes:

I also thought you fed the cable from the mast into the PSU which amplified the signal then from the PSU to the splitter (as I call it).
No, the "splitter" is actually the amplifier combined with a splitter to the multiple outputs. The antenna connects to the amplifier input, and the outputs to your various TV points around the house. But one of those output connections is also used to feed power into the amplifier, in order to avoid having to run a separate power cable up to the mast. So one specific output is connected to the PSU (which is just for supplying power, it doesn't contain the amplifier) and from the PSU to the TV equipment. You can insert the PSU right by the TV, or install it more permanently elsewhere if it's more convenient, just so long as it's connected at some point along the coax cable run from the specific output.

I also thought you fed the cable from the mast into the PSU which amplified the signal then from the PSU to the splitter (as I call it).
No, the "splitter" is actually the amplifier combined with a splitter to the multiple outputs. The antenna connects to the amplifier input, and the outputs to your various TV points around the house. But one of those output connections is also used to feed power into the amplifier, in order to avoid having to run a separate power cable up to the mast. So one specific output is connected to the PSU (which is just for supplying power, it doesn't contain the amplifier) and from the PSU to the TV equipment. You can insert the PSU right by the TV, or install it more permanently elsewhere if it's more convenient, just so long as it's connected at some point along the coax cable run from the specific output.
Thanks, it's what I'm realising now.
Now need to find out if it's worth just getting the one from Argos instead. It will be simpler and save me from feeding all the other TVs from the 'amplifier' in the loft but a bedroom instead.
Maybe it's not as powerful, yet I've now read that if the gain is too much, there won't be any signal! At least the one from Amazon is adjustable.

Sponsored Links
If you're worried about having too much / not enough gain, cheap DVB-T signal strength meters are available. Search for "labgear dvb-t finder".

Do you actually have a full feed to the switch? Remember that switches often have a single cable running to them with live and switched live, so there is no neutral present. But if you have a feed (live & neutral) coming into the switch, then another cable runs out from the switch to the loft light, you could run from the switch box to your amplifier.

Putting a regular 13A socket on a lighting circuit doesn't pose a safety risk, since the circuit is protected (normally) by a 5 or 6A fuse or MCB, but it's something many of us regard as "not nice," since there could come a time you (or somebody) tries to use that loft socket temporarily for something higher powered, even though fitted for the amplifier.

Looking at the particular unit you have in mind, it doesn't have a plug-type power unit, just a regular 13A plug, so a "cleaner" option would be either (a) fit a BS546 (round-pin) 5A socket on the lighting circuit and change the plug on the amplifier to match, or (b) fit an FCU and wire the amplifier supply into it, using a suitable fuse in the FCU.

FCUs are not used or necessary on lighting circuits which are adequately protected anyway.

Do you know that you actually need a booster? If the aerial is outside there could well be enough signal to feed four TVs with a simple passive splitter.

FCUs are not used or necessary on lighting circuits which are adequately protected anyway.
Probably not necessary, but there's no harm in using one to provide a convenient point at which to switch off if necessary and to "fuse down" to provide additional protection for the amplifier PSU.

Do you know that you actually need a booster? If the aerial is outside there could well be enough signal to feed four TVs with a simple passive splitter.
Or if not, at least to install a regular amplifier complete with PSU in the attic as sort-of originally intended, avoiding the need to mess around with getting up on the roof to fit an external masthead amplifier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back