Can a socket be added to a lighting circuit?

Thats probably not 2.5 for the smokes but 3 core 1.0 or 1.5 mm as they require an extra interconnecting wire.Do not use that circuit anyway.

Sponsored Links
Do not connect to the smoke alarm circuit. Also, for your reference the smoke alarms will not be wired in 2.5mm² cable. It will be 1.0mm² or 1.5mm² three core and earth, so overall the cable is about as wide as 2.5mm² T&E, but slightly thinner.

I think the best idea is an FCU with a 1A fuse supplying either a 13A or a round pin socket (2A or 5A)

Easiest way is to utilise a proper masthead amp/distribution system in which the amp is installed on mast or in loft, power supply plugs in behind telly & power goes up downlead.

Simple!

lazygit said:
pbar said:
That must surely be far beyond regs. There'd be no way of isolating it.

I disagree that its FAR beyond regs as it can be isolated at the CU. You could argue that a 13A socket on a 5A circuit is beyond regs. But I must admit the wiring into an FCU idea is definately best.

EDITED: Local isolation means you wont damage the booster during insulation testing (if it ever gets tested in the future). Might be a good idea to make a note of it at the fusebox.

No, it's local isolation it needs, in the CU doesn't count.
Yes, a 13 amp socket on a 5 amp (or 6 amp) circuit is beyond regs I should think, that's why almost everyone has stated to use an FCU, and for safety of course. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Taylortwocities said:
bernardgreen said:
( wife comes home. no lights, no hubby, She thinks "Oh dear the fuse has tripped" and resets the MCB. She may hear the scream from the loft. she may not. )

Surely she should be going straight into the kitchen to get tea on for her man and not messing with MCBs??

(ducks head back below parapet to avoid missiles being thrown... :LOL: )

bernardgreen : it's not a 1 kw FIRE but a < less than 5000mW AE unit

niallhanlon said:
I just purchased a masthead arial booster with built in amp to split the tv arial to various rooms. It will be in the loft but needs to be powered. As I have no socket in the loft or access to the socket ring can I take a branch off the lighting circuit to power this? Rating on back of unit says: 230V-50Hz, <5W.

Thank you!

A 3 bar electric fire at 1Kw per bar = 3000mW divided by 250v = 12 amperes allowing for surges that may exceed 12 Amps add another ampere giving 13amps.

Now use this same established formula to realise the size of fuse req'd

sinewave said:
A 3 bar electric fire at 1Kw per bar = 3000mW divided by 250v = 12 amperes allowing for surges that may exceed 12 Amps add another ampere giving 13amps.

Ummm... 3000mW / 250V = 0.012A

I think you mean 3kW / 250V = 12A. ;)

As regards isolation when a TX is used at low current this effectively reduces the need for an earth :primary or secondary when housed in a insulated case.

Tapping into the loft lighting cct would be best. a fused connection unit using a suitable rated fuse is best for peace of mind.

I hear someone say what rating: well cartridge fuses at 1A 2A are not plentifull these days so 3amp. :)

sinewave said:
As regards isolation when a TX is used at low current this effectively reduces the need for an earth :primary or secondary when housed in a insulated case.

Tapping into the loft lighting cct would be best. a fused connection unit using a suitable rated fuse is best for peace of mind.

I hear someone say what rating: well cartridge fuses at 1A 2A are not plentifull these days so 3amp. :)

Doh! i did mean exactly that where have you gone wrong?

No.

3000mW (milliwatts) is 3W (watts)
3000W (watts) = 3kW (kilowatts)
3000MW (megawatts) is 3,000,000,000W (watts) or 3,000,000kW (kilowatts)

My apologies go to you, of course it is:

drink age & memory perhap's are more dominant these day's.

Best wishes.

streetlighter said:
What about the need for local isolation ? Surely a double pole swiched fused spur with a 3a fuse is the best way.

Don't need DP isolation. SP switch will suffice.

Please note I only posted this because people automatically assume if you have switches, you need DP, but you don't. Having said that, I'd fit DP anyway. Just wanted to alert folks to the fact that DP isolation is not automatically required.

:eek: Shouldn't this be a simple problem.All this different advice puts me off electrics all together.

You did ask.... ;)

If you want a 2A fuse, I can send you one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back