POWER IN THE ATTIC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to install standard plug sockets in the attic to enable me to power a standard TV arial booster. Can I cut into the lighting circuit, add a junc box and run a cable to a plug socket to power the TV signal booster?

Sponsored Links
It's not good practice to fit 13 amp sockets on a lighting circuit.

Do the tv boosters have a plug and flex on them?

If so, the best way is to fit 2 or 5 amp plugs onto them, and fit 2 or 5 amp sockets fed from the lighting circuit.

Alternatively, fit fused spur connection units.

There are some tv boosters where the plug is part of the booster itself, if you see what I mean. Don't buy these.

It's not good practice to fit 13 amp sockets on a lighting circuit.

Do the tv boosters have a plug and flex on them?

If so, the best way is to fit 2 or 5 amp plugs onto them, and fit 2 or 5 amp sockets fed from the lighting circuit.

Alternatively, fit fused spur connection units.

There are some tv boosters where the plug is part of the booster itself, if you see what I mean. Don't buy these.

Thanks for that info.... so, I could
1. put a junc box on the lighting circuit, and then buy a 5 amp socket? and fuse the plug from the booster to 5 amp and run it that way?

2. Put a junc box on the lighting circuit run a 2.5mm cable to a fixed fused spur connection unit, run the 2.5mm cable a further metre to the 13 amp plug socket?

Sponsored Links
You would do option 1.
You would NOT do option 2.

2 or 5 amp plugs have round pins. They are different to 13 amp plugs. Traditionally they don't have fuses in them, tho newer ones may. The fuse protection is provided by the lighting circuit - typically 5 or 6 amp.

If you fit a junction box you would have to break into the correct cable, for example not a switch cable. You need permanent live, neutral and earth.

Often you can get the supply directly from a nearby ceiling rose, but only if it has a permanent live, neutral and earth.

You must research this before you even consider doing this work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back