Power surge/spike?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Im renting a flat that was built in 2005. The TV signal is rubbish in my area and I have put a mast head tv aerial booster up and its powered from a plug socket in the living room.

My problem is that if I switch a light house on/off or plug socket then the signal on the TV skips for a second. It does not do this if the signal booster is unplugged.

Is this a power spike that is causing a problem? Would some kind of filter infront of the aerial booster plug help?

Thanks

Imp

Sponsored Links
Amplifiers are only of use if the signal is weak. If the signal quality is poor, the amplifier will make this worse.

The proper solution to the TV reception is to find the cause for the poor reception, rather than just amplifying the poor signal.
Likely causes are:
the aerial is misaligned / damaged / the wrong type / directed at the wrong transmitter
the downlead cable is poor quality / damaged / full of water
there is some local feature preventing good reception (such as a tall building between you and the transmitter, large metal structures, etc.)

Thanks for the detailed reply but its a little off topic.

The reason why I need a amp is because of the natural bowl topography of the area I live in. Without the amp I get a 40% signal strength with 0% but when thunder clouds come this drops to sub 20%. The amp increases this to around 80% with 0% error rate.

I suffer from a problem where when a switch is changed in the house the amp seams to be affected.

I suppose I should try and connect my TV amp to my computer UPS and see if that filters any spikes.

Imp

Sponsored Links
Is your co-ax near to / parallel to a lighting circuit cable? If so, when you fire up the lights, this may interfere with the signal....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back