Power to aerial booster in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a powered aerial booster to help improve the signal to my tv's, but it needs to be installed in the loft, where there's no power.

Since it's only very low power, i'm planning on taking it off the lighting ring, but how's the best way to do this ??

Put a junction box in the lighting ring, and wire the booster straight in ?? (then it'll have no plug, hence no way to turn it off, and no fuse...)

Wire a proper plug socket as a spur off the lighting ring, and simply plug the booster in ?? (then there's a mains socket on the lighting ring, which could theoritically have anything plugged into it...which obviously isn't great...)

Another option ?? There must be a nice simple way of doing it that i'm just missing !!!

Sponsored Links
It would be ok to wire a socket off the lighting circuit as if anything was plugged into the socket that required more power than the lighting circuit is capable of delivering then the MCB (or fuse) would operate. The other way to wire in the booster would be to wire an FCU off the lighting circuit, which would allow you to fuse the booster at 3A, and prevent anything else being connected to the lights (unlike the socket)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back