Signal Booster or Masthead Amplifier?

I’ve installed a Yagi18k in the loft.

using the existing passive splitters I get all freebies channels on the TV with the shortest cable run, no BBC on the tv with the medium run but all other channels and very poor reception on the tvs with the longest run.

Next step to install a Wolsey mast amplifier

It's a bit curious that you're missing the BBC channels on the medium run cable. According to the Freeview.co.uk signal checker, Sudbury muxes are as follows.

Sudbury.jpg

Overlaying that on the Yagi18K curve from the ATV graph, we get this

Sudbury_groupK.jpg

and it shows BBC A (regional BBC 1 and BBC 2), and BBC B (the BBC HD channels and HD versions of ITV, C4, Ch5 and a couple of entertainment channels) at the highest gain point on the Kagi18K curve. That means as long as the aerial alignment is good then those two muxes get the strongest signals.

If you were going to lose reception on anything then the SDN mux would have been the obvious candidate looking at the gain curve. You might want to recheck the tuning on the medium range TV making sure it's tuned to all the Sudbury mux channels. After that, I wonder if it's worth you just checking the aerial alignment and maybe having a look at the cables and connections down to the medium run TV? A bad connection or a dented cable can create what's known as a notch filter. This means that a very narrow part of the signal range gets weakened enough for the signals to disappear. e.g. BBC A might be lost but BBC B still there.

The other possibility is that you're getting some form of cancellation because of signal reflections in the loft. If you've got a TV small enough to take up there, you could have a play around with the aerial whilst watching the Strength and Quality display in the set's manual tuning menu for RF Ch44. Where you really want to dial it in you can use a variable attenuator to reduce the signal level to the point where any minor change in aerial position causes a big reaction from the meter displays on the TV.

variable attenuator_Belling.jpg

variable attenuator_F_plug.jpg

Sponsored Links
I’ve installed a booster now get all the channels on all 5 tvs except on the medium run tv.

My PVR using the same cable gets all channels but the tv does not get any standard definition BBC channels or radio. The cable is split using a passive splitter before going in to the tv & pvr.

I can only assume the tv cable must be broken going to the tv but it’s in the wall ☹️

My PVR using the same cable gets all channels but the tv does not get any standard definition BBC channels or radio. The cable is split using a passive splitter before going in to the tv & pvr.

Just to clarify on the way the cable is split....

Are you saying that (i) the a single cable comes in to the room, and then it goes in to a two-way splitter. Or do you mean that (ii) the cable is split somewhere else and then the single cable loops through the PVR to the TV?

Is it i or ii??

If it's 'i', then the action of splitting will reduce the signal level by 3.5dB or more, but could also let in a dose of noise if the splitter is poorly shielded such as the one in the image below

crap_passive_splitter.jpg

Replace that with one either of these

good_passive_splitter.jpg

For TV signals both of these do the same job and to the same quality. The difference other than shape and type of connectors is that the 66100 also works at satellite signal frequencies. You don't need that, but if it's more convenient for you then don't hesitate to buy the 66100.

Signal difference between the PVR and the TV

Whether the split is done i or ii doesn't matter so much for this next bit. Where it's split in-room then both the TV and the PVR should be getting the same signal level and quality so long as both fly leads are up to the job. There's more on that later.

The point here is that both devices are (or should be) getting what amounts to the same signal, so if there was an issue with the cable in the wall then the natural question would be why the TV is reacting differently to the PVR? If we presume that both devices are correctly tuned, then the real world answers are usually either there's a difference in the sensitivities of the tuners or there's a problem with the wiring in the room.

Tuner sensitivity would explain why one of the weaker muxes might be received differently between two devices. That doesn't appear to be the case with you though. This isn't the shopping channels on SDN 29 that's affected; it's the main SD BBC mux, and the BBC muxes are always transmitted at full power from a transmitter. Sudbury is a powerful transmitter; AFAIK 100,000W for BBC A.

Is it the aerial then? Again - site unseen - I would say it's unlikely. Not unless there's a problem with how it's mounted in the loft. But if there was then the TVs on the longer cable runs would be similarly affected, as would be the PVR, and neither of those situations is the case. Besides that, the BBC A mux is in a part of the gain curve where the aerial's reception is stronger rather than weaker.

Is it too much signal from the aerial? Without the booster in place you had trouble getting signal to this point. That wouldn't have been the case if the signal was already sufficient. I'm going to say then that this is unlikely. Besides, if too much power was the issue then the TV on the shortest cable run would have obvious issues, and you haven't said that's the case, so I'm leaning towards no again on too much signal, but I will circle back to this later depending on how your in-room wiring is laid out.

One further question... Does the affected TV have a HD tuner or not?

What this leaves us with then is either some problem with the wiring in the room or a problem with the cable to that room that's then exacerbated by the wiring in the room. For troubleshooting, it's sensible to eliminate the simple elements first.

Store-bought fly leads are a common cause of signal issues. They're lossy, and they're poorly shielded, and there's a longer-term issue with their construction which means that the acid in the solder used to join the pin to the centre core eats the connection over time. Since the whole thing is entombed in plastic it's impossible to see and check. A fault might show up if you use a multi-meter on continuity test or Ohms. RF is slightly weird in that a signal will 'jump' a gap or break if the distance is small enough. It's called capacitive coupling. The cable looks like it works with an RF signal but is massively more lossy. To a multi-meter measuring continuity or Ohms then the cable shows up as a break.

The simpler solution is just to replace them, but not with new versions of the same thing.

Short recap... These are crap.

Crap_fly_lead.jpg

Replace with something like this.

Good_fly_lead.jpg

A properly-made fly lead will have decent shielding and the sort of connections that can be checked for issues should the need arise. They're also far less lossy than the bought-in cables, and cheaper too.

You're unlikely to find these read-made in stores and so may need to buy a small reel of cable and some coax plugs to make your own. Where doing so, I'd recommend Webro WF100, Triax TX100, Labgear PF100 or Doncaster CT100 cable. They're all good 100% copper coax cables. Should that prove to be a little OTT for just a couple of short fly leads then I can supply you some made-to-length in either white or black with the appropriate male/female ends to suit your needs.

What about if the in-room signal cables are wired as ii?

If you're using the PVR loop-through connection - and presuming you've switched off any power saving feature in the PVR which disables power in the loop-through when the PVR is in standby (God knows who thought that was a good idea!?!) - then the looped signal often has a little amplification.

As we know with aerial amps, amplification increases power but decreases quality. If the signal is already marginal for some reason then this can tip the balance and stop reception. Generally any weaker muxes will be lost first, but if the cables are a bit dodgy then they can have a notch filter effect which means that only certain frequencies are lost regardless of initial strength. This could be the case with your BBC A signal.

Summary: replace the fly leads and splitter first to see if that's enough to fix the issue. It's cheap and easy to do, and a good idea in the longer term anyway, so the effort and cost isn't high. Also, if it doesn't work then you'll know for sure that going to the expense of having a new downlead fitted is justified because you've already ruled out the simpler solutions.

Thanks.jpg

Thanks Lucid.

It’s wired as per option ‘i’. The cable is plot just before the tv & pvr using a passive splitter as per your first image above.

I’m also using cables & connectors as per your suggestions.

I’ve removed the splitter plugging the cable direct in to the tv, still get the same problem. Have also tried a new cable, avoiding the one in the wall, still the issue.

I’ve redone all the connections and replaced the cables as much as I can, neither helped.

Can it be a problem with the tv as the PVR worked perfectly using the same cables? Last thing to do is a factory reset on the tv.

thanks

Sponsored Links
You've eliminated most of the simple stuff. I suppose the only other thing to try is moving the TV to another signal location, but at this stage I would agree that it looks like some issue with the TV.

I would recommend trying a manual tune just for that one mux channel, and if you want to do a full reset and see how the TV goes with an auto set-up then try that too.

If the reset and manual tuning doesn't work then you're probably looking at a fault on the TV. That could be a dry joint on the aerial socket or maybe a broken pin. The next question is whether you decide to try to fix that or just decide to use the PVR as the tuner full time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back