Silicone and melting bath tile strip!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help!

Just had new bath fitted and baby due next week but....

something horrid is happening to the tile strip around the bath!!!

It looks like it has reacted with something and has warped/melted/curled upwards and now not watertight!

Anyone know what could have caused this? it's mainly around the tap area.

Do the tiles have to be taken out and new strip fitted?

:confused:

I hate diy. Always fraught with problems!

Thanks in advance for info!

Sponsored Links
any chance of a photo?

and this might be better off in the plumbing forum. ( surely they fit baths... ) or the tiling forum..

Ok, so I hauled my elephant pregnant self upstairs to take pics but I can't upload them unless I email the admins and ask them to do it!

you need to upload the photo to some web space if you have any, or to a photo hosting site ( numerous available.. ) then post a link to the image with {img} tags round it ( the tags have square brackets.. [ )

and I must appologise, I didn't even consider the posibility of you being female and the one that is pregnant.. we don't get many weomen on here and unfortunately my preconceptions are that DIY is a mans job...

congrats on the baby for when it comes..

Sponsored Links
Don't apologise, it's not your fault about the duff tile strip!

I have emailed the pics to admins ans am looking at a hosting site to upload pics to in meantime.

Thanks for the concern. :)

Help!

Just had new bath fitted and baby due next week but....

something horrid is happening to the tile strip around the bath!!!

It looks like it has reacted with something and has warped/melted/curled upwards and now not watertight!

Anyone know what could have caused this? it's mainly around the tap area.

Do the tiles have to be taken out and new strip fitted?

:confused:

I hate diy. Always fraught with problems!

Thanks in advance for info!

I am not in the habit of fitting these because 1. they look rubish, and if there is ever a problem (like yours you need to get nasty with the tiles. ( i take it is the type that go on behind the tiles and not the sticky ones that go on the front)

in my opinion you have a few options but would love to see a pic,

but i can tell you it will invlolve stripping the row of tiles around the bath.

Well, it was ten months ago that I posted this. Thanks for the reply anyway.

I just cut the warped rubbery bit off with stanley knife and siliconed the gap. Looks ok. . .ish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back