Leaking bath strip repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, would appreciate opinion on bath to tile waterproofing repair.

Basically a leaking old bath strip - was a rigid under-tile version. Having read through the forum decided to cut it back flush to tiles. Worked ok but shown up larger gap at tap end (up to 9mm) than at the side (4mm).

Steps I think need doing:

1) Bit of expanding foam behind tap end of bath. Bath is solidly on wooden frame up to walls and doesn't move - but one of those old models where edge curves down to the wall.

2) Cut foam back and silicone bath edge to foam/plaster/strip remnant.

3) Where it becomes a hassle. I think gap is too large for a tile-bath bead, so either put a tile 'skirting' strip over existing tiles, just 2mm off bath (found just about enough offcuts in loft to do this) and bead top of it? Or something else?

Problem is existing tiles fixed using a corner strip, so however I do it seems to leave problem of ensuring corner is fully tight esp meeting bath. Tap end tiles fixed to boxing, so as water has been getting through think trying to get them off might pull chunks of wall out and not enough tiles to redo whole thing.

Have attached pics (I've taken off corner strip, so what's visible is base it fits on). Will look at replacing whole room in couple of years, but can't afford it now. In meantime most important is getting it watertight rather than looking good. Any opinion greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Your tile doesn't seem to be over the rim of the bath or maybe its just catching it so it will be difficult to seal the gap with silicon. Have you looked under the bath to see if water has been penetrating down behind the bath?
As you've found out these strips are rubbish causing problems not solving them.
I dont know but you could remove the bottom course of cut tiles and the remains of the strips and replace with contrasting tile? It might help?
Dont go sticking lengths of plastic trim or similar on the tile or the bath rim. It will eventually come off.

On occasion, I've managed to jack the bath up on its adjustable screwed legs......squashing some new silicone as it went.
John :)

You're right, even with the curve tiling should have come further down & over bath. Gap would be even larger if remains of strip were off. There was just loads of silicon hidden with a trim. Definitely not putting another plastic one on.

Water has been penetrating (I tested and was just seal leaking). State of boards, battens and frame ok, but what's visible of tile backing doesn't look fantastic so think history of slow leak means it comes down if I start removing tiles.

Did more trawling though forum and looks like temporary fix might be ceramic quadrants (or tile skirting but bath curve means without trim the tile line needs to come forward a bit anyway to be sure water doesn't collect there). Are ceramic trim pieces ok if I silicone it in after filling behind them, or also dodgy?

Thanks for reply.

Sponsored Links
Cheers burnerman. That was my first thought but bath's sitting in a wood frame as much as on feet - so can't adjust them without messing whole thing (and can't reach furthest foot either due to toilet anyway).

You can use quadrant pieces. Fill in behind to hold them in place, inside corners have to be mitred. Grout the top against the tile ( and the perps/joins) and silicone against the bath rim.

You can use quadrant pieces. Fill in behind to hold them in place, inside corners have to be mitred. Grout the top against the tile ( and the perps/joins) and silicone against the bath rim.
Thanks. I've found a pack online that includes corner and end pieces, leaving just a couple of cuts to do - hopefully for sale somewhere local.

Is grout ok for quadrant fixing/joins? Was thinking all silicone given angle profile and water, but I haven't done this before.

EDIT: For anyone reading in the future - going ok although suggest using something other than expanding foam to fill (e.g. backer rod). Annoying stuff to deal with, esp in fiddly areas where not easy to just cut it cleanly.

EDIT2: Ceramic trim in. All just silicone as wasn't comfortable using grout given bath slope towards walls and water. Inbetweens and edging was a bitch. Behind taps mostly blind hope. Looks even more chintzy, but will see if it holds for couple of years while saving for a refit.

Frankly, if bath is straight & tile backing can take it would recommend just removing bottom row and retiling. Probably less time & hassle.

Last edited:
Hi, I see this thread is a few years old but I have the exact same problem as this. Did this solution work out for you? Also, did the flex in the bath cause any problems with the trim staying in place? Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back