resealing bath/tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had a small leak on the bath for a while so its time I got around to fixing it.

I think the bath was installed wrong in the first place - the taps are at one end which is tight up against the wall, and the other end is 2.5 inches away from the wall and has an electric show over it. (I would have thought the shower end would be better close to the wall?). I dont want to move the bath if I can help it.

The leak is at the shower end. There is 2.5 inch wide piece of wood fastened to the wall to fill in the gap, on top of that I found a half inch thick layer of grey hard stuff (a little bit flexible) which seems to be saturated with water - not sure what this is? Then there are some tiles over the top that joins the tiled wall to the top of the bath.

What happens is the bath moves slightly when you are in it (either full of water of just standing in the shower). Even with the stands under the bath tightened up the end of the bath flexes enough the stress and break the silicon seal around the tiles/edging strip. I think I need to either put something under the end of the bath to stop it moving, or attach a wider bit of wood under the 2.5" filler piece that goes under the bath rim so they cant move relative to each other.

Any thoughts on an easy way to fix this?

thanks.

oh, I missed out the tile edging strip from the diagram - it is one of those things that sits under the tile and has a quadrant in front of the tile. I wonder what the best way of sealing the edging/tile/bath junction is because there seems to have been tile adhesive there before.

bath.png

Sponsored Links
There're too many joints and too many areas where that setup can fail. Best to move the bath up to the wall. While you're at it, ensure that the floor is firm. If this means screwing a sheet of 18mm ply onto the floorboards then do it.

ok, I will look into how much effort it is to move the bath along. I think it would need the whole row of tiles along the bath coming off to be able to reseal it after the move :( Not sure if the bath side panel would fit well in the new position either...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back