Silicone as grout - why not.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per my other post about epoxy its only a small 900x800 area behind a cooker that gets food and grease stained. What is bad about using silicone as grout in my case. I have used it 100s of times and am very experianced with it, I would tape off the tiles first for a supa neat finish.

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong in principle but what's wrong with grout? I'd be concerned with having to redo it at some point and being able to clean all of the old silicone out the tiny gaps before reapplying.

The grout will has stained from cooking its white I looked into epoxy but have read that it can go yellow / discolour on its own and it will be harder than silicone to get out if need to change.
I did ask about the best grout sealer to buy but I do not think the forum tiling section ges much traffic.

The grout will has stained from cooking its white I looked into epoxy but have read that it can go yellow / discolour on its own and it will be harder than silicone to get out if need to change.
I did ask about the best grout sealer to buy but I do not think the forum tiling section ges much traffic.

The grouted tiles behind my gas hob are still clean, and the grout still white, and they've been there for years.

Every few weeks, I just give them a wipe-over with a cloth damped with soapy water, neat washing-up liquid, or even Screwfix degreaser (definitely wear gloves with this stuff though, otherwise it will dry out and crack the skin).
Then rinse off afterwards.

Sponsored Links
The grouted tiles behind my gas hob are still clean, and the grout still white, and they've been there for years.

Every few weeks, I just give them a wipe-over with a cloth damped with soapy water, neat washing-up liquid, or even Screwfix degreaser (definitely wear gloves with this stuff though, otherwise it will dry out and crack the skin).
Maybe i'm just a dirty cook.
Perhaps I will try grout again and a sealer.
Can anyone recommend a sealer.

Same here and as far as I know our tiles have been there for tens of years. I think silicon will make a mess when you try to remove whilst grout will be a lot easier to remove if the need arose.

Ok I have come to the conclusion that my staining grout behind the oven could be due to some crappy grout that I used, I can not remember what I used but it could of been some fix and grout or something about 15 years ago or more because since then I have used bal mico on 2 bathrooms with shower cubical s and the grout is as new and they are about 10 years old.
If I am lucky I may have some bal micr left over from 10 years ago when I did 2 bathrooms, wonder it it will be ok.
I did seal those but have since lost the tin so I could buy a new one and redo the bathrooms too.
Thoughts :unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back