Silicone sealant peeling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The dreaded silicone sealant... my absolutely least favourite job! I’ve been siliconing around window frames/trim as one of our last jobs on a refurbishment. I got myself a Kramer Fugi set and actually it went on a dream! However, I’ve just cleaned around some of the windows and loads of the sealant has gone ragged/peeled!!

Could anyone shed any light on why this might have happened and how best to resolve? Poor quality sealant maybe? I used an Evostick sanitary sealant.

Many thanks,

John

Sponsored Links
I suspect that the torn edges are the result of the silicone being too thin. That is one of the downsides to profiling tools. If you are using white silicone on a white surface you can't always see the excess that is being dragged along the surface (because it is so thin).

I know that the marketing videos suggest that you can just run the tool over the surface and it removes the excess, but the reality is that it leaves a film behind. Based on what you say, it does sound as though you applied too much silicone and placed too much faith in the product. Sorry.

My advice would be to run a stanley along the length of each of the seals (as close to the jagged edges as possible and then use your finger nail to remove the excess. It will be time consuming though.

I would also recommend wiping down surfaces with isopropyl alcohol before applying silicone (it helps to "degrease" surfaces).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back