Silk or matt emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I am planning to refresh the downstairs. Previously I have had white matt emulsion on walls and ceiling. The matt emulsion on the walls marks and gets dirty easier. Would it be okay to change the matt to a silk or something similar on the walls?

Something easier to wipe when the children have dirty hands on the wall!

Regards

Sponsored Links
Most paint firms do endurable matts ie Dulux diamond, LG intellimatt, Johnstones endurance. All are wipeable if not scrubbable. Personally i hate silk, don't like the finish and shows up every defect in the wall.

Most paint firms do endurable matts ie Dulux diamond, LG intellimatt, Johnstones endurance. All are wipeable if not scrubbable. Personally i hate silk, don't like the finish and shows up every defect in the wall.
I find the silk to not be as forgiving if it gets knocked or scratched. Stay with a Matt paint, much less complications can occur aswell.

I agree with both the above!

Silk is naff. If you don't want children's grubby handmarks on walls, you have a number of options:

hang washable wallpaper
apply very painful spiky Artex to all walls up to 4' from floor
make them wear gloves indoors
make them wash their hands more often
send them to boarding school for most of the year

...or as advised, use a scrubbable matt such as Endurance or similar!

Sponsored Links
interesting similar topic here recommending farrow and ball paints as they are oil based

//www.diynot.com/forums/diy-disasters/dulux-washable-matt-paint.291886/[/QUOTE]

Most F & B paints are in fact water-based now.

They still do traditional oil-based eggshell and gloss (intended for woodwork mainly), but these would be overkill on a wall except perhapsin a school or residential home.

A better choice would be Little Greene Intelligent Emulsion. Still a nice matt finish, but washable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back