Silk paint problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a house. The plaster is 1970's and good. Unfortunately, the previous owner painted it with Silk paint. This has not bonded at all and sits on the plaster like a sheet of spray-on plastic. I can't matt emulsion over it because (a) The two don't agree anyway, and (b) large flakes of the Silk come off when painting over. I've managed to clear several walls using a paint scraper (it came off that easily), but other walls are proving too difficult for the scraper approach.

What to do? I could put a belt sander on it I suppose, but I'm wary of damaging the surface of the plaster.

Sponsored Links
I just did a room like that here@ home :cry: Random Orbit sander is good , belt would be too viscious - and heavy. Left with powdery plaster, I sealed it all with a tin of water based zinsser.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back