Silk to Matt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I have some lovely anaglypta which has previously been painted with a silk emulsion. I need to get it to a matt finish. As the paper is textured it will be a bit tricky to rub down. Would you do one coat in softsheen followed by the matt coats?

Cheers
Tony

Sponsored Links
Tony, I've used matt paint over the satin stuff lots of times with no problem. If the wallpaper is textured it will probably key fine. Not sure why you'd want to use an intermediate coat of soft-sheen.

NickStone said:
Tony, I've used matt paint over the satin stuff lots of times with no problem. If the wallpaper is textured it will probably key fine. Not sure why you'd want to use an intermediate coat of soft-sheen.

Soft sheen is good for when you have made a cack-up, and painted silk on new plastered walls, and realised you used the wrong finish, :cry: and it should have been matt. :

When there is Silk on new plastered walls, and you want to go matt, its advisable to go over the silk with soft sheen, then you can apply your matt.

Or, if you have any oilbase undercoat to hand, whack that on over the silk, leave a day or so, then go over with the matt. :D

spice said:
When there is Silk on new plastered walls, and you want to go matt, its advisable to go over the silk with soft sheen, then you can apply your matt.

Or, if you have any oilbase undercoat to hand, whack that on over the silk, leave a day or so, then go over with the matt. :D

That's a useful tip, Spice. Thanks. :)

Sponsored Links
spice said:

That's a useful tip, Spice. Thanks. :)
Hi Nick
did you put soft sheen over the vinyl silk or did you use another method.
was it successful
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back