Emulsioning over silk emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way to tackle silk emulsion on a lightly patterned papered (anaglypta) loft stair case-I hate the paper but it has been put directly on top of plasterboard so too much work to remove. I would prefer a matt finish. Can I risk covering with matt? Do I go for an emulsion with a soft sheen-if so which make? Or stick with yuk :rolleyes: silk?

Sponsored Links
If you want a matt finish go for soft sheen as a barrier coat between the two.

you can paint matt emulsion over vinyl silk emulsion no problem as they are the same water based

hawthorns said:
you can paint matt emulsion over vinyl silk emulsion no problem as they are the same water based
Slow down hawthorns mate. Sure you can put matt over silk, but I believe what the poster was concerned about is that you often get fine cracks in the matt paint as it dries over silk. What zampa was saying is that an intermediate coat of soft sheen should help reduce the effect.

Sponsored Links
gcol said:
hawthorns said:
Slow down hawthorns mate. Sure you can put matt over silk, but I believe what the poster was concerned about is that you often get fine cracks in the matt paint as it dries over silk. What zampa was saying is that an intermediate coat of soft sheen should help reduce the effect.
i painted my stair case a month ago and asked a professional decorator what to do and he told me to put 2coats of matt emulsion over the vinyl silk, done this and there was no problem, there again i used dulux matt emulsion ,i dont know if you mean if you use cheap emulsion that the cracks may appear or there is some other reason for them

Sometimes you can get away with it, but it is a recognised problem.

Have a read of dulux's advice.
http://www.dulux.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&name=p_faq_general

Can I paint matt over silk?
The answer to this is yes, but only when the wall has been thoroughly abraded. Unless you are fully prepared to sand the surface to remove all traces of sheen, we would not recommend that you attempt it. Failure to sand thoroughly will result in your paint cracking.

gcol thanks for that information, i can count myself lucky i got away with it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back