sill on a sash window replacement advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The sill on my sash is totally rotten and needs replacing.

What I am unclear about is whether the sill and the bottom of the window, where the sash comes to rest, are all one piece of wood or whether the sill is separate and the join concealed.

Could anyone advise? I feel I may be able to replace the sill if it is a separate piece

Nick

Sponsored Links
photos would help see what type of sliding window you have, and which pieces are which.

photos would help see what type of sliding window you have, and which pieces are which.

Good point, these pics hopefully help. I have tried to indicate with a yellow line the 'join' point I am thinking of

Its not clear in these photos but there is a difference of about 5mm between the wood top edge at the bottom of the sash and the top of the wood that continues out to be the sill, which suggests that maybe they are 2 pieces?

There are 3 pics in all

Thx

N

no i think that is all one piece.

you will need to determine if there are spiral spring balances or traditional lead weights.

you should be able to see the spring balances at the top.

this may help -

http://books.google.com/books?id=bU...ry consturction&pg=PA397#v=onepage&q=&f=false

if there are spiral balances, then you can screw through the bottom of the stiles to the wall (not into the cavity, if there is one). this will then fix them while you chisel out and replace the sill.

if traditional lead weights you will have more trouble as you could foul the weights with your screws.

i am sure there have been several threads on this or similar subjects. try searching "replace sill" or "replace cill". it will be similar for all door and window sills, the stiles are generally tenoned into mortices in the sill. if the stiles are fixed independently they should be ok.
remember to allow for movement so leave a gap between your new sill and the stiles and use flexible filler (paintable) to fill it.

this is ideal but getting harder to find. http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=all+purpose+paintable&x=0&y=0

Sponsored Links
squowse";p="1307758 said:
no i think that is all one piece.

you will need to determine if there are spiral spring balances or traditional lead weights.

thanks

lead weights, I can hear them clanking!

I dont see why i need to secure them though, surely removing the sill would not affect them?

Ill have a look about the forum as you suggest

N

the window frame should normally be solidly fixed together at the corners., if the stiles move when you're removing or replacing the sill then the windows will not slide very well amongst other problems.
you might be able to use metal L-brackets for example to keep them secure.

or cut out the rotten parts of the sill and replace with hardwood and epoxy as filler.

the window frame should normally be solidly fixed together at the corners., if the stiles move when you're removing or replacing the sill then the windows will not slide very well amongst other problems.
you might be able to use metal L-brackets for example to keep them secure.

or cut out the rotten parts of the sill and replace with hardwood and epoxy as filler.

I was thinking that the stiles are kept apart by the wood base of the box frame where the lowered window sits. If the sill can be separated away from that wooden runner then the stiles should not move away from the wall as the integrity of the box wont be affected? However a belt and braces L bracket approach does make sense.

Does this sound right?

Unfortunately the rot is too far gone to fill, I can probably remove most of the sill with a teaspoon let alone a chisel!

Thanks for all your advice

N

it depends how the stiles are fixed to the wall.
you want to make sure that they are not moved either in/out the builiding, up or down, or together/apart (i think this is the least likely way they will move)

it depends how the stiles are fixed to the wall.
you want to make sure that they are not moved either in/out the builiding, up or down, or together/apart (i think this is the least likely way they will move)

Yes, I see, I do think the rotten sill should come away without too much effort but I will try and support against movement

The sill to replace, is this a pre made piece from a wood supplier?

ta

N

also after you have replaced the sill, the stiles will potentially be unsecured unless you joint them to the new sill (which may be difficult)

if you can;t find one in your timber yard, a decent woodworking shop or joiner should be able to make you up a new sill. i would strongly recommend hardwood, or at least well treated softwood.

And finally... Make sure that the bottom of the stiles are sound before embarking on a repair. If they're not you're on a hiding to nowt.

The rot in your picture looks pretty terminal. Ditto the paint at the bottom of the stiles. Brace yourself for a nasty shock if you start prodding

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back