Silly questions!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we had a new Worcester green star heatslave boiler fitted beginning of April and a Honeywell wireless thermostat, I have this set at 18 for when we get up and 14 for between 8 and 6 when the heating comes on to 18 again

I have the temp on the boiler itself set at 63 my question is if the boiler itself reaches the 63 does it cut off even if the room isn’t up to the 18 set on the thermostat?

It’s an old farm cottage with solid walls, the attic insulation had not long since been done, the living room where the thermostat is mostly kept is a large room but does have 2 radiators, they are all double panel radiators throughout the house. It does take a while to heat up to the 18, like this morning the thermostat read 12.5 when I got up at 7.30 and it was up to 16.5 at 8.50

All radiators have TRVs, was like this when we moved in and the engineer who installed the boiler didn’t seem to have a problem with this, the TRVs in the living room are fully open and the rest of the house is set accordingly around 2

Sponsored Links
If you only have the heating on in the morning for a couple of hours and a few hours in the evening try turning your boiler up to 72.

Will that be ok with it being a condensing boiler? I thought for it run efficiently it would need to be lower that’s why I had it set at that but didn’t think about the amount of time I had it set to come on for

Your burner will eventually cut out if the set water temperature is reached no matter what temperature you set the room thermostat, it will however fire up again when the water temperature drops due to the pump continues to circulate the water until the room thermostat setting is reached.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Will that be ok with it being a condensing boiler? I thought for it run efficiently it would need to be lower that’s why I had it set at that but didn’t think about the amount of time I had it set to come on for
I too would say set your boiler temperature higher if you want to get the room warmer & quicker, it more about the returning temperature of the water as to when the boiler starts condencing but a bigger part of the boilers efficiency is due to the larger surface area of its heat exchanger as its flue gas temperatures are as much as 200 C lower than those from a conventional boiler

Thank you you’ve been very helpful I will turn the boiler temp up

Ok so I turned the boiler temp to 70 which has made a difference with regard to the rooms heating up etc but have noticed that it can drop to around 40 and not kick back in even if room isn’t at temp, so before it got to 18 but I was still a bit cold so I put the thermostat to 19 and the heating was still on but the boiler wasn’t coming on even though the message box in hall had the green light on and the boiler itself read 46 I think it was, how low does it have to be before kicking back on?

Obviously I don’t know if the boiler was cycling on and off that whole time as I was in the living room but did check it to see what the boiler temp was a few times, you can also hear the box in the hall click on and off which I’m guessing switches the boiler on but does it switch the boiler on every time or does it depend on things?

Are the rads getting hot? If they are and the place isn't warming up quickly enough you need more/bigger rads ;)

Oh no the place is Definately getting hot enough and the radiators get red hot im just trying to figure out if the boiler is working as it should.

The radiators are big double panel ones in all the rooms and the living room has 2 radiators

Something else I’ve just thought of, once the room gets up to the 18 I’ve set it at the heating obviously switches off and the radiators start to cool down, is this right? I’m guessing if it starts to fall below 18 it’ll warm them up again?

Something else I’ve just thought of, once the room gets up to the 18 I’ve set it at the heating obviously switches off and the radiators start to cool down, is this right? I’m guessing if it starts to fall below 18 it’ll warm them up again?
You are correct.

How far does it need to drop before the thermostat tells the boiler to switch back on? I’ve seen it drop to 17.5-17 and not come back on straight away

You’ve just asked and answered your own question.

Might be worth looking at getting another thermostat. When my one reaches the set temperature, it cycles on 6 times per hour to maintain the temperature.

You shouldn’t have trv's on radiators in the room that the thermostat is in.

Me again I’ve noticed over the past week that when the boiler is cold it is sitting just below 1 and then when working full pelt is getting to just below 1.5 ( this was the pressure the installer left it at when he installed it) but I’ve also noticed that while it’s on, say the 6-9 slot, once the water and room is up to temp the boiler switches off which is right but then when it comes back on the pressure may be back to just over the 1 is this right or should it be holding the just below 1.5 pressure for the duration of the 6-9 period?

Ok and as I’ve just checked he pressure there and when the boiler switches off ,blue light went off and I heard it click off, the pressure jumped from just above 1 to just below 1.5 and is now dropping back to 1?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back