Silver birch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could the roots of a silver birch 35 years old and 1 ft from the boundary cause a concrete fence post to move sufficiently after 15 years to allow the fence panel to fall out? This is what my neighbour is claiming after she lost the panel recently. She wants me to have the tree pruned - help please!

Sponsored Links
Probably. I have a couple each side of my drive and the roots are pushing the tarmac up quite a bit at the moment. The tarmac is 10 years old and the trees probably 40.

Maybe, but what difference is having the tree pruned going to make to the roots that are already there? Sounds like she doesn't like your tree and is after an excuse to force you to prune it.

maybe you're lucky she hasn't tried to get you to pay for digging out the old fence posts and putting a new one in.

At 35 years it could easily be 35 foot high, and will only get bigger.

A foot from the bounday and the roots will be a long way beyond.

The smaller the top of the tree is, the smaller the roots will be.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't like a 35-year-old silver birch a foot from my boundary. Actually I had one when I moved into this house and the roots had lifted the footings of the boundary wall and cracked the wall. I think your neighbour is probably bang on that the tree is a problem and if you don't do something you might be in line for a lawyer's letter sooner or later.

Pruning the tree won't do much though as the roots will continue to grow. You should maybe think about having it removed and replacing it with something a bit friendlier.

Silver Birches can also 'bleed' to death if you prune them so agree that it is best to remove it and replace with something more suitable.

Probably not

If the post moves one way to allow one panel to fall out, what happened to the panel on the other side of the post?

If posts move, they don't move vertically sideways, they will lean instead - and you will see this

The panel could have shrunk or flexed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back