Silvery outdoor paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a kind of paint that is suitable for metal outdoors, that has a steel/alluminium look?
Something along the lines of painting a metal fence to make it more or less look like galvenised steel.
I remember using something like that years ago; it look ok and was quite good to stop rust as well. I can't rember what it was called, but it wasn't hammerite.

Sponsored Links
You are probably thinking of Aluminium paint (not to be confused with aluminium wood primer) which gives the sort of finish you describe. Crown and Dulux both do a trade version which can be used on exterior metalwork. I'm pretty sure that neither can be applied direct to rust so any existing rust will need to be removed and properly primed. If I remember rightly, the Crown version is also used as the primer so it's likely the Dulux is the same, although I'm not certain.

There is product that may be of interest to you called Owatrol RA 85, this is a high build high gloss aluminium paint, if you want a system that will last it may be worthwhile you checking it out.

Dec

Best I've used for garage doors, railings and gates bengasman is ..

deco Metal Care Paint. "silver". It even has a metal look about it.
It needs an undercoat first.

Now no laughing here but... I got it from "Aldi". Great stuff

Sponsored Links
There is product that may be of interest to you called Owatrol RA 85, this is a high build high gloss aluminium paint, if you want a system that will last it may be worthwhile you checking it out.

Dec

Just done a quick search and that looks like a decent product Dec, do you know if it's available at any merchants (I've never seen it) or if it's online only?

Best I've used for garage doors, railings and gates bengasman is ..

deco Metal Care Paint. "silver". It even has a metal look about it.
It needs an undercoat first.

Now no laughing here but... I got it from "Aldi". Great stuff

Won't laugh, I've bought a fair few products there, mainly power tools, and they've work fine but never tried any of their paints. Gutted when my local store closed down earlier this year - loved the vanilla brioche. :cry: ;)

Off the top of my head I couldn't say, Owatrol are well known in the Auto\Marine scene Brewers and such places may stock the range.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back