Sime boiler - intermittant hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a three year old Sime Format C boiler. For the last 4 months it has been a bit awkward in providing hot water for the shower. It might do, it might not! It only seems to affect the shower and most frequently happens if you\\\'ve flushed the toilet within about 10mins before turning on the shower. I\\\'ve topped up the pressure and bled the radiators (no air in them tho\\\'). If the central heating is on then the problem doesn\\\'t happen. When it\\\'s playing up the boiler stays on for about 30 secs, the CH light goes orange and then it turns off. It may or may not come back on again. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the diverter starting to fail.

We charge £96 inc to fix that in our local areas.

Tony Glazier

That's a relief - i was anticipating a huge bill (It's been one of those years!). Thank you (and for such a quick response).

For info - turned out to be the temperature sensor and cost £76.oo.

Could have been worse!

Sponsored Links
Meant to post an update sooner to say thanks - rather a long oversight there - apologies. Boiler completely knackered as it turns out so new glow worm installed. Thanks for your help on this query.

katy may said:
Meant to post an update sooner to say thanks - rather a long oversight there - apologies. Boiler completely knackered as it turns out so new glow worm installed. Thanks for your help on this query.

Cant see a Sime Format being knackered just yet, just as I cant see a temperature sensor causing the fault you describe. As mentioned a £10 diapragm kit would have sufficed. Might be worth getting someone in who knows what they are doing.

Its a bit late now the G-W has been fitted.

So many boilers are replaced when they can be easily repaired.

I saw a three year old Sime replaced just because they could not find anyone ( me ) prepared to fix it. Not being a mainstream boiler few engineers are very comfortable with them.

Tony

Spot on Agile. Wasn't just the temperature gauge, various other bits and bobs went wrong and the engineer eventually said it was beyond him. Couldn't get anyone else prepared to do it either. I thought about it for a while, coz i didn't want to spend the money when the old boiler should have been repairable, but sometimes peace of mind is worth more.... And a hot shower of course!

It would often be possible for us to go to the north and charge an extra £100 to cover petrol and a hotel.

In the ( allegedly ) deprived north we hear that costs are lower so it always surprises me that no one will fix totally repairable boilers.

Even my old friend in Leeds, Harry the Honk, could do it ( with my telephoned help if needed ).

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back