Sime Friendly Format 80e - Topping up the pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've checked the FAQ but one thing about this is eluding me about the problem I have with my Sime Friendly Format 80E water boiler.

The pressure's dropped to about 0.3-0.5 instead of the 1.0 it usually hovers around.

I have a filling loop to top it up, so was going to try that before calling an engineer, but it's been so long since I've needed to use it I've forgotten what to do next.

I've connected it up, but there's a nut or a screw near each connection that can be turned, but the nut by the connection where the pipe is hot just leaks water if I unscrew it, and the screw by the connection where the pipe is cold just won't turn. I thought that was the one I used to turn before but it's stiff as a board.

Thanks in advance, Dom

Sponsored Links
Hi, yep. If it helps, my filling loop looks like the one on the right-hand picture but I still don't know what to turn on the boiler to make the water exchange happen. I'm sure it was just one of the two things I mentioned as opposed to both.

I forgot to mention that I managed to turn (anticlockwise) the very stiff screw, close to the cold pipe, but then that started leaking water as well so neither seem like the right thing and they're the only two things I can turn in the vicinity :(

As far as im aware you dont need to touch the boiler to refill the system. you just turn the tap on the filling loop and keep your eye on the pressure gauge

you may get some leakage from the tap on the loop but this shouldnt be excessive

not much of an expert im afraid

Sponsored Links
Fat_Freddys_Cat said:
As far as im aware you dont need to touch the boiler to refill the system. you just turn the tap on the filling loop and keep your eye on the pressure gauge

you may get some leakage from the tap on the loop but this shouldnt be excessive

not much of an expert im afraid

The only 'tap' I have is the actual connections for the filling loop to hook onto the boiler.

No worries on the expert front. I know little more than what I've posted in this thread :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back