Simple 1 Gang Switch and Socket Replace Purchasing Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am looking to replace some switches and sockets, nothing fancy, just a straight replace like for like.

Other than 1-Gang 1-Way type features for light switches and 1-Gang features for plug sockets is there anything else I need to think about when I am buying the switches and sockets?

Sponsored Links
The only thing I can think of is if you buy metal faced sockets they must be earthed so you need some earth wire (don't forget if you are replacing a 2 way lighting circuit you need a 2 way switch)

Apart from that all switches and sockets are interchangable so it's only the style and look you need to think about

Oh and grab yourself a packet of electrical screws in case the back boxes are set a little deep and the supplied screws aren't long enough

Sponsored Links
You may need to bare in mind the depth of the backbox, most Flatplate and some others will only fit a 35mm or more box.
NON flatplate are likely to fit whatever box is already present

Don't buy MK essentials, for some reason honeywell have slapped the MK brand on some really awful products.

Don't buy MK essentials, for some reason honeywell have slapped the MK brand on some really awful products.
It called juggling keeping the bottom line profit up or trying to compete with the cheaper products, unfortunately over the year product quality had suffered in all industries.

Yeah, most products get "value-engineered" over the years, MK's logic-plus range is widely regarded as being of lower quality than it used to be. I could respect if MK had decided to make a more economical but still well-designed range to compete with the "own brand" products from wholesalers and retailers.

But MK essentials is an absolutely awful design. John Ward has a video (
) looking at a single socket, FCU and lightswitch from the range and the following deficincies stick out to me.

1. The switch module on the lightswitch is the wrong shape, it sticks out 23mm behind the plate, so it's not going to fit at all on a 16mm box and will be extremely tight on a 25mm box. It really needs a 35mm box which is just ridiculous for a light switch.
2. They used clip-on front plates, I'm not convinced these are a great idea in the first place, but they made it worse by making the system almost but not quite symmetrical.
3. One of the terminals on the switch does not have the screw recessed in the plastic moulding.
4. On the single socket the earth only connects to one of the two mounting holes, given that in most backboxes only one of the lugs is fixed this means you have a 50% chance of the fixing screws providing an acceptable earth path.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back