Simple alcove cupboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Id like to make alcove cupboards to look like the example attached. I like the style and know that the door might cover any issues from my lack of skill!

I’ve seen a guide here. But I want to put the tv on top but slightly concerned it won’t support the weight. Is this a good plan or not? I don’t think I have the skills or tools yet to make a full cabinet for this.

Any possible issues I might come across?

One alcove is 355 deep x 1810 wide and the other 345 x 1180. 708 high is the aim.

Attachments

• 92DA12F4-BE95-4C93-A0B7-D2543A9D8FEA.png
    92DA12F4-BE95-4C93-A0B7-D2543A9D8FEA.png
    823.5 KB · Views: 63
Sponsored Links
Basically they are simple, thick shelves, so not really very complex. If your shelves are mounted onto steel "pegs" (or floating shelf fittings) like these

Floating Shelf Fittings.jpg
Floating Shelf Fittings 1.jpg
Floating Shelf Fittings 2.jpg

they should be strong enough to take the weight of a modern TV providing you get a good fix into the masonry and the shelf isn't too deep (those fixings are 150mm long, so should carry shelves up to about 225mm deep)

Yes - I think I can do the shelves but it's the cupboards that concern me.
Building a full cabinet, with the correct joins - without skills to use a router - puts me off...but can't afford the £1000s I've been quoted.

Sponsored Links
Yes - I think I can do the shelves but it's the cupboards that concern me.
Building a full cabinet, with the correct joins - without skills to use a router - puts me off...but can't afford the £1000s I've been quoted.
They are nothing that requires fancy joins, little more than kitchen units in a row.You can replicate with mdf ( painted) and either make up doors with painted mdf or buy kitchen doors online ( can be made to measure ) in just about any style or finish .

All you need to understand is that a cabinet is basically just a box: top, bottom, two ends and a back. Everything else like shelves, dividers and doors is just an extra.

In order to make a box you need some way to cut material accurately (or just buy-in cut to size material), a flat and level assembly surface to build your cabinet on (this is very important - but can be as simple as an old flush door supported on a pair of trestles or even concrete blocks) and you need some form of joining, the simplest method being butt jointing and carcass screws.

Wall Unit Basic.jpg

So in reality at a basic level not much kit at all

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back