simple draft question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We have recently moved into our new home(building site), before we did we stripped the house down to the bare walls and floorboards. There is around a 3ft gap under the ground floor which is vented from the walls. I understand from other threads on this site that it would be a bad idea to block the vents up, however i intend on laying carpet and underlay anyway. Do you think they will block out the drafts? is there any particular type of underlay for the job? The house cools down rapidly after the heating is off i think due to the floors.

Thanks

Phil

Sponsored Links
Wood Floors are designed to have a vent through from the out side to keep them at the right moisture content this prevents wet and dry rot. very bad idea to block them.

generally people live with the floors as they are, however if you would like to insulate them then you can do that, although its not easy you either have to lift all the floor boards or if you have enough space under the floor and can reach all the underside of the floor you can remove only enough boards to get access.

I would recommend 60mm foam board insulation (such as xtratherm xrpt insulation this is just a guid) This is a solid foam sheet that you cut with a saw to fit in between your floor joists. You will need to fit some kind of batten to hold it in place as gravity will effect it even if it is wedged in place.

:cool:

Thanks for the reply shades,

I will look into that now. I take it that there is no underlay product that will eliminate the drafts when carpeted ?

phil

A good underlay will reduce heat loss and prevent a draft. The insulation Job reduces heat loss reducing you heating bills.
Its also good if have wood exposed floors.
:cool:

Sponsored Links
Sorry to bring this up again, but I plan on using insulation board between the joinsts AND put 6mm ply ontop of the floorboards to help even them up, then use thick underlay and carpet. Would this be overkill and cause condensation? If so should i just ply/underlay/carpet on top of the floorboards?

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back