Simple lean-to attached to brick house

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to create a cheap shelter for bbq, bikes etc. Does not need to be 100% water tight, just keep most of the direct rain off.

On the side of my house I have a dead-end path that is about 85cm wide. Single story extension to the left and fence to the right. Path is with paving stones.

My plan:

Fix some wooded supports, or one or two long support, to the side of the house just below the soffit. Fix another horizontal support to the fence posts (or the support running horizonally) near the top. Then built a simple roof with plastic corrugated sheet on a wooden frame that can then be attached to the two supports. a 1 metre wide roof will sit in there nicely with a good angle for draining water off away from the house.

Now, my drill struggles to go into brick. For hanging shelves in the garage I drilled into mortar and plugged that. Seems pretty solid. Can I do this for my shelter, or should I go into brick?

When my gate was put on it did go into the brick, but a gate I guess needs to be more secure than a static frame?

Any other considerations?

Looking at the cheap treated wooden posts - http://www.diy.com/nav/build/timber...ber-L-3000-x-W-75-x-T-47mm-9275868?icamp=recs - and PVC Corrugated Roofing Sheet 77/20 EAN: 5012032085042 from B&Q

I know there are many better options, but budget is really very very tight and I need to get this done as cheap as possible.

Sponsored Links
Tarpaulin.jpg

I like your thinking. But I will still need to fasten it to the side of the house and this will require, I guess, either a strip of wood or individual holes in the wall, and that still poses the question, mortar or brick holes?

Brick. If you want it to stay in place when it gets windy.

If you can't afford a new drill, start with a small bit e.g. 4mm and work up from that. You will find it much easier going.

Sponsored Links
you would be amazed how much difference those de walt bits will make, even in your existing drill. If it didn't work you could always hire a drill - even hiring a really powerful one will only be a fraction of the cost of buying one.

you mention constructing the roof to drain water from the house, but make sure it doesn't just rot your fence instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back