Simple plug question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya, hope this is ok to ask this here...

I recently purchased what was listed as a 13a plug, with a 3a fuse (C7 2 pin power cable). On the plug itself its stamped 3a/250a (in a circle). I was planning to drop in a 5a fuse (what the supplied PS5 power cable has) but that stamping on the plug has got me concerned.

Is that stamping an indicator of what the cable/plug can handle and its mis-sold, or just what fuse is supplied? The cable itself is stamped 2 x 0.75mm

Sponsored Links
Are you sure there is not a '1' in front of the '3'.

Could we have a picture? Just copy and paste.

was it with a chinese item you bought in a street market? or online?

Is that stamping an indicator of what the cable/plug can handle
The stamping on a connector is an indicator of what the connector is rated to handle.

To determine the rating of the complete cord set, you have to look at the rating of all of the components (plug, cable and appliance connector) and take the lowest.

and its mis-sold
The problem is the term "13A plug" is ambiguous, the literal interpretation would be a plug rated at 13A, but colloquially the term is used to reffer to BS1363 plugs in general.

To the best of my knowledge rewirable BS1363 plugs always have a rating of 13A, but non-rewirable ones may be lower.

C7 connectors are only supposed to be rated at 2.5A anyway under IEC standards (though apparently they can be rated higher under north american standards). So using a 3A rated BS1363 non-rewirable plug as part of a C7 cord set is perfectly reasonable.

Sponsored Links
This is something I come across regularly when PA Testing.
Even from legitimate brands, a moulded cable may have one rating marked on the plug, another embossed on the cable, and yet another on the end connector!
An example: the max rating for an 'IEC C13/14 connector' is 10A, even though 13A versions are sold!
...and in your case the 'figure of 8' C7/C8 connector is only rated at 2.5A!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320

In my case, within a safety audited environment, if I come across a lead with mismatched numbers; I replace it with one that is matched (or fused down appropriately).

In your case, if the cable is of decent quality, from a reputable supplier, and really has a 0.75mm2 cable; there is probably little to worry about. After all, should Sony really be using a connector rated at 2 5A, when the appliance may draw 5A? ;)

Even then, I believe the max power of the PS5, is only 350W - so really nothing to worry about! :)

This is something I come across regularly when PA Testing. ... Even from legitimate brands, a moulded cable may have one rating marked on the plug, another embossed on the cable, and yet another on the end connector!
That I can believe. However, as EFLI implied in his question, have you ever seen a BS1363 plug marked as "3A" (or, indeed, anything else other than 13A) - since I don't think that I have?

Kind Regards, John

Well, if you believe the marking then at this point I have 3 cables, all stamped BS1363.... the PS5 one, which has 5a/250v on it and two others which have 3a/250v. All have BS1363 on. Really confusing.

If the C7 connector is only rated to 2.5a anyway then that explains why I've been having trouble finding a 5a or above one All I need is 1m extra for it to reach, I should have just bought an extension!

All I wish is to make sure whatever I do is safe, if it should be ok on a 3a fuse I'll leave that in I was just trying to match what Sony supplied without tripping fuses or burning the house down.

upload_2022-3-17_17-32-19.png

upload_2022-3-17_17-32-45.png

That I can believe. However, as EFLI implied in his question, have you ever seen a BS1363 plug marked as "3A" (or, indeed, anything else other than 13A) - since I don't think that I have?

Kind Regards, John
Only on fully moulded plugs/leads:
20220317_172723.jpg

Just a random example! 5A marked on plug, 2.5A marked on connector and 0.75mm2 embossed on the lead.
If you have a PC with an 'IEC' lead, the plug on it will nearly always be marked as 5A, and the connector 10A :)

Edit:
Beaten to it! :)

gah just checked the connector on the PS5 shipped one, 2.5a for the C7 Didn't think it had anything stamped on it.

Why would you fit a 5a fuse when one of the connectors is only rated to 2.5a? Isn't that a risk in itself?

gah just checked the connector on the PS5 shipped one, 2.5a for the C7 Didn't think it had anything stamped on it.

Why would you fit a 5a fuse when one of the connectors is only rated to 2.5a? Isn't that a risk in itself?
Congratulations on being diligent enough to find out this incongruity! :)

Many people wouldn't notice the markings and wouldn't care; but ultimately, no harm is likely to come of it.

As I said earlier, the PS5 has a max draw of 350W, which is 1.5A. A 5A fuse would allow for surges at turn on etc.

As long as your leads are decent quality, what you are doing is safe and your house won't burn down! :)

...and there are some on here that would argue that the fuse is only there to protect the lead. Given the lead is 0.75mm2, a 5A fuse would provide adequate protection!

It's probably only the lead which is particularly important - I suspect that it could be difficult to make a connector that, in reality, could not safely carry more than 2.5A, even if one wanted to!

Kind Regards, John

Only on fully moulded plugs/leads: .... Just a random example! 5A marked on plug, 2.5A marked on connector and 0.75mm2 embossed on the lead. ... If you have a PC with an 'IEC' lead, the plug on it will nearly always be marked as 5A, and the connector 10A :)
Fair enough - I can't have been paying enough attention. I suppose it would not be unreasonable to have such a marking on the plug (of a lead with plugs/connectors moulded onto both ends) if it represent the 'rating' of the assembly (plug+lead+connector) ass a whole- but then it presumably would have to be the lowest rating of any component of the assembly (2.5A in the example you cite).

Kind Regards, John

but then it presumably would have to be the lowest rating of any component of the assembly (2.5A in the example you cite).
You would hope so, but that hasn't been my experience, even with components from reputable brands. I have seen plenty of IEC C13 cords with the BS1363 plug marked as 10A or 13A, the IEC connector marked as 10A, but with only 0.75mm² flex (which is conventionally taken to have a rating of 6A).

If you want IEC C13 cords that are wired with 1.0mm² flex for the full 10A you have to shop very carefully.

Thanks all for your comments, I didn't think anyone would reply tbh Saved me further pain trying to track down a unicorn cable or just using an extension.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back