Simple question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just require some clarification.

I am about to attempt to install a ring main and will be running the "ring" under the floor boards on the first floor.

Do I have to put the wire into conduit under the floorboards or can I just pin them to the joists. Also when drilling joists, how far below the floor boards do I have to be to be within guidelines.

And last question, I intend to run a ring main for the upstairs separate from the downstairs but run the wires under the same floor. Is it Ok to run two wires together using the same drilled points, or must the wires be pinned separate on the joists.

Many thanks for anybodys help.

Sponsored Links
conduit isnt required..

50mm from ends and 50mm from above and below iirc..

pin it under joists? Ie you have access to crawl under?? dont pin it when running through joists.. I also dont pin it when running parallel

The wires can run together, but they shouldnt be tight when running through joists.

if you main means of doing wiring downstairs is by crawling under the floor then clipping can make sense as it means the cables are less in the way (compared to letting them sit on the ground or having them sag accross between points)

i would certinaly never drill through joists where there wasn't a good reason too (ie you have some kind of surface both on top and underneath)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back