Simple Soldering Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm about to solder some piping and have a query.

When soldering small 15mm joints, is it best to solder both sides at the same time? Or is it easy to solder the second side without melting the first side you did earlier?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Curve the end of solder so that gets to the back of joints firsts. Never heat and solder at the same time (you have to a little) but try not to. Do both at same time as above. Most heat it too much and solder runs out, there is that point where its just right temperature wise. Hope it worked out for you

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your replies. I've watched several videos on soldering and am going to start work soon, I'm sure it will turn out fine.

It makes sense to solder small joints in one hit. What about T-joints though, can each leg be soldered separately, or again is it best to do them all at once?

All at the same time.

If it makes life easier for pipe runs you can always cut a tee in later, when you need to, or you can leave a short stub of pipe from the tee and use a coupling later, to extend it.

Doing joints all ends at same time just takes confidence. The entire joint will be the same temperature so you rub solder in. Have a strand or two of your solder with a bent U. Heat tends to be make the solder run a bit too much but after 10 seconds or so it tarts to thicken as you apply. It's always the back that leaks and is a bit naff as you can't see it so well

and am going to start work soon
Buy a length of pipe and a bag of fittings and put in some practice, it's the best way to get better.

If you're DIY'ing then you might be better off using yorkies (solder ring). Contrary to some advice, you don't need to add any more solder than what is in the fitting.

I find the trick is - nice and clean pipe - fine paper or green scourer and polish the pipe - use just enough flux on the pipe only (practice), spin fitting on pipe to ensure uniform flux coverage inside, clean any flux that's pushed out when fitted onto pipe then heat pipe away from the joint then move up towards fitting and heat just enough, critical not to overheat the pipe/fitting (don't have the torch blasting away).

As said..solder a few joints and try differing techniques .Cut them open to see solder has spread...Most common mistake I think is too much heat...Or water sitting in the joint.Can burn away all day,it will never take .

I'd done electrical soldering for years - could always do neat joints with minimal solder. When it came to plumbing could never get it right, had a lesson from a plumber mate and found it simply simple and could make beautiful joints in his presence.
Went home and still struggled. Then just as the gas was running out I made a couple of good joints - the torch I use, designed for lead plumbing in open air I concluded just gave to much heat, change of gas bottle, and turned the torch down to a tiny flame and not had a problem since.

Easiest I find, is all of a fittings joints done as one, but at a pinch, with a good reason I will leave one side until later - a matter of keeping the fitting side you intend doing later cool. I will also 'unsolder' to modify or rotate a pipe with the same technique. Basically keeping what you don't want to heat up cool with wet tissue or a wet bandage.

Always remember heat rises, so apply heat from the bottom of any fitting, up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back