Soldering - where am I going wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I keep practising on bits of copper pipe (15m) but consistently get the same problems. FWIW, I'm using Yorkshire fittings but want to add a bit of solder, as is frequently advocated.

Method I use is...
  1. heat up the joint (smallest flame I can get)
  2. remove heat
  3. touch solder to see if its hot enough
  4. repeat until solder starts to melt
By the time its hot enough to melt solder, the copper is often discoloured and the solder either doesn't travel into the gap or just falls off.

From the Q&B I got GoSystem flux and butane/propane mix. Got my lead free solder from wickes.

Is it me or the equipment?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you're overheating the joint.

Clean pipe and fitting

Small amount of flux on the pipe and push on fitting

Wipe off excess flux

Steady flame and keep the flame moving across the pipe and fitting (don't hold it in one spot continuously!!)

With Yorkshire fittings you will see the solder run to the end there is no need to add more.

For End Feed touch the solder to the edge of the fitting every now and again when it starts to run make sure that you can see it has taken all around the fitting.

Remove the heat and allow to set for 20 seconds or so then clean joint.

Jon

Thanks Jon,

Other than wiping off excess flux, that's exactly what I'm doing.

Guess I'll just have to keep practising.

Try turning the heat down lower. It definitely sounds like you are overheating it.

I wouldn't say it was the equipment as you can solder with pretty much anything. (I've done it with a windproof lighter before!!!)

Any pictures?

Jon

Sponsored Links
Photos of top and bottom. Note, I did try a number of times on the same bit. I know thats not a good idea but I was just practising :)

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 398
  • bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 373
Yep, massively overheating the joint. Smaller flame and keep it moving. Don't try to get the joint as hot as possible in the shortest amount of time bring it up slowly. I'm doing a bit in a minute so will try and get a pic so you can see the size of flame I use on 15mm.

Jon

Remember that solder melts at about 200C, i.e. the temperature of a hot oven. Really quite a low temperature compared to a flame.

Not great pictures as they are from my phone but this is the kind of flame I use for 15mm
DSC_0229.JPG

And this is the end result you should be aiming for

DSC_0232.JPG

Jon

Cheers. Judging by the big blue cone on my flame I guess its WAY too hot o_O

As that's as low as I can go I think I'll need to invest in a better torch or different gas.

Just keep it moving quicker and take the flame away every now and again to build up heat slowly if your torch won't go down any lower. It's all about controlling the heat.

Jon

I can never understand "adding" more solder to what is a perfectly suitable fitting in the first place. Heat the fitting up till the solder ring appears and stop at that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back