Simplest way of fixing this washing machine waste bodge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Daughter has just bought a flat and discovered that the washing machine (left by the previous owners) is filling up with dishwater from the sink. :sick:

Looking under the sink, I'm not surprised (grey pipe is the washing machine waste)... :rolleyes:

1692086472416.png

I've yet to get the u-bend off to see if that's a little blocked, but presumably the main issue is that gravity is just taking the sink water straight down the washing machine waste.

It looks like they used something like this from Screwfix.

If that's 40mm (which I'd guess it is), can I just get one of these, and rotate it upwards so that there's at least a bit of slope down (assuming there's some slack in the pipe)? So something like this...

1692086810274.png

She's getting a new washing machine shortly anyway, and at that point I think I might be able to re-do the waste pipe to come from above.

I'm just looking for a quick win in the meantime if possible so she can at least use the washing machine (after it's been cleaned!). ;)

Thanks very much,

Andy

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with that type of connection. The trap may be gunged up so it's not as free draining and backing up into the hose, so check that first.

The drain hose does need to be disconnected though, pulled back through under the cabinet and then run up and over the top side edge of the cabinet and back down into the trap.

1692087814686.png

Thanks Madrab.

Getting the drain pipe up and over is definitely the plan, it'll just be a pain to get at the pipe without taking the machine completely out as it's very tight.

As a quick short term fix, do you reckon that angled Floplast hose connecter might give it enough of a lift (if I check the trap)?

Not really, if it's not draining properly then without lifting the hose up and over it will still do it. Easy to check though, check the trap is clear and then disconnect the drain hose, bucket underneath the spigot and run the sink tap and see if it backs up. If it does then the waste run may be restricted further downstream

Sponsored Links
Every washing machine/dishwasher outlet I have ever seen is angled upwards to avoid such issues like this one form Wickes:-https://www.wickes.co.uk/McAlpine-WM11-Sink-P-Trap+Twin-Nozzles---38mm/p/226994

As a quick short term fix, do you reckon that angled Floplast hose connecter might give it enough of a lift (if I check the trap)?

If there is enough slack on the WM pipe, then simply tie it up high before it enters the spigot under the sink. A permanent solution is to run it through a hole high in the side of the kitchen unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back