Singing pipes / water hammer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had longstanding issues with water hammer with the pipework in our house, but since I replaced the toilet and fitted a new isolating valve to it we've problems with singing pipes when taps are being used.

I've drained the system to try to get some air in any chambers to ease things, but there don't look to be any air chambers built in - I think any air that has ever been trapped to cushion the flow of water has been more by accident than design.

What would be the best course of action for remedying the problem? Is there a recommended valve or section of pipe that I can add to the system that would help, and if so, where would it be best to fit it?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Is the isolating valve a 'cheap and cheerful' one or a full bore decent fitting?

Is the iso fully open?

Is the toilet supply mains fed?

Do they sing the same song or is it always different song ? :D

Sponsored Links
When the cistern is filling, alter the isolator - does the sound change?

Do you know what your static/dynamic water pressures and flow rates are?

I'll check again tonight, but we don't get the loud humming noise when just the cistern alone is filling, only when there is also a tap on. But the noise sounds like it's coming from the toilet/isolator. What we are getting at the moment is water hammer once the toilet has filled, regardless of anything else being used. I've partially closed the isolator to try to alleviate it.

I'm afraid I don't know what the water pressures / flow rates are on the mains fed pipework, or how I'd go about checking.

I think I'll pick up some pipe clips tonight and see what difference it makes once the pipes are better supported.

OK, after a lot of messing around with it I've now established that the water hammer and the buzzing pipes are two separate issues.

The water hammer I think I can solve with a shock arrester - at the moment the line to the bath is acting as one as I've left it with air in it. No more water hammer. The pipework that I'd need to secure to remedy it that way I can't get to without major expense, so an arrester seems the best option.

The droning in the pipes is actually coming from the boiler - whether on the hot or cold taps, and regardless of whether the boiler's running on not. If I isolate the boiler the sound goes away - reconnect it and it's right back again.

Presumably a valve will need replacing on the boiler. Any thoughts on what it's likely to be and what it might cost to have a plumber replace it?

Cheers

Boiler has now packed in, so whatever it was it looks like it was more serious than I thought.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back