single and combi oven power query

Sponsored Links
great bit of detective work sparkwright
http://www.wickes.co.uk/6mm2-Twin-and-Earth-Cable-6242YH/invt/156256
that must be the one.

I too am thinking that rockdg may have the solution. I can't see a spare slot in the fuse box (garden electrics and new shower room used those up a couple of years back) so it might not be possible to run another cable.

So, do you guys reckon it's possible to run both the 3600kw ovens from that one 6mm 38amp cable? if rockdg's method is used.

I know I should have checked before the plasterer was booked, but nothing in the kitchen was being changed (lights and sockets are the same) and I just assumed it was ok to swap 2 single ovens for a double. It then occurred to me that maybe there should be 2 cooker switches instead of just the one. However, rockdg seems to have found a way that hopefully will work in my set up too. Assuming the 6mm 38amp is ok.

the rating is printed on a piece of blue and red card that is attached to the reel, not on the cable itself. Maybe, that's what wickes does with all it's cables. Might be what all the diy sheds do, not sure.

Yes, you could use the 6.0 mm cable to feed two 16 amp MCBs to serve the two appliances.

Sponsored Links
thanks, that's put my mind at ease. Plastering can go ahead and electrics can be sorted out afterwards.
Boy, the trouble I could have got into for not having thought it through before hand (family, plasterer and electrician) doesn't bare thinking about. :oops:

Hi seneca

If you read my reply earlier then i have some more news for you. Our electrician at work who has just finished his 17th edition course told me that i have over done it and i could have simply wired two 4mm tails from the the output side of the cooker switch. Each 4mm cable would be wired straight into the appliances.

So it just goes to show that all electricians don't sing from the same hym book. Maybe he is wrong but he has been in this game for over 30 years

hi rockdg, thanks for your help
my current set up has the 38amp cable going the kitchen wall and straight into the cooker switch. It then goes through a conduit under the plaster and comes out behind the oven housing. Can my electrician just take the two 4mm tails you speak of from this single 38amp cable?

Anyway, I'll let him do it whichever way he pleases (who am I to advise!) The main thing is the cable can stay beneath the plaster and he can attach whatever he choses to the 38amp cable behind the oven housing. However, I shall print this thread off and keep it handy.

Our electrician at work who has just finished his 17th edition course told me that i have over done it and i could have simply wired two 4mm tails from the the output side of the cooker switch. Each 4mm cable would be wired straight into the appliances.
Unless, of course, either appliance is supposed to be on a 16A circuit. What do the installation instructions say?

Maybe he is wrong but he has been in this game for over 30 years
Sadly people like that are often not as good as you would hope, and sometimes treat changes to regulations and working practices as new-fangled-nonsense-I've-been-doing-it-my-way-for-30-years-and-it's-always-been-fine.

IHNI what this guy is like - just saying don't assume that 30-years experience hasn't made him a stick-in-the-mud. Did he read the MIs before saying the appliances could go on a 32A circuit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back