Single brick thick garage wall, new door fitting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to give myself new access to my garage, Im thinking of getting hold of a second hand UPVC door and installing it in my garage side wall.

My concern is the garage wall is only one brick thick, Will this be ok?

Should i add anymore support or strength other than a lintle across the top of the door?

Any tips / pointers / advice welcome...

Rgds

M.A.

Sponsored Links
if you need to create an opening in an existing wall, then there is a risk of some of the brickwork fracturing, particularly the uppermost courses, when you knock the opening out.

if you can hire a stihl saw, armed with a 12" diamond blade then you may have greater success. you may still have to re-build the uppermost courses above the lintel though. try and follow the perp' joints as best you can.

try and fix into the stretcher bricks or into the mortar if it is strong. it may be wise to squirt some foam into the join after mechanical fixing is complete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back