single glazed upvc, double units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house is ex council.
At some point it has had single glazed UPVC windows fitted.

They must have been in ages, but are in good condition. Nothing warped, bowing, broken etc, all catches work, got all keys, they seem very well made.

Can we get double glazed units fitted to them? Seems a shame to replace the frames if there is no need.

On the inside there is a 10mm spacer around the windows.

If it can be done, would it be cost effective, or may as well just replace?

Sponsored Links
In theory you should be able to remove the spacer, remove the rubber from it and fit it to the frame and put a dgu in, wouldn't like to say how thick a unit you could get in without seeing first, how thick is the single glazing, is it 4mm float or 6.4mm laminated?

Glass doesnt look very thick so probably 4mm.

Having another look, there may be a bit more space. The inner rubber and spacer are at least 20mm, i.e. there is 20mm between the glass and the frame. I dont know how much room the inner seal takes up though.

I'd obviously be getting someone out to look/quote, but wanted to get some kind of idea of whats possible, and how much cheaper than complete new windows it may be.

I let some glazing company quote for new windows a few weeks ago. Cant remember who, they were cold calling.
After giving me all their discounts :rolleyes: and after me explaining many times theres no way im doing credit and wont be buyng windows till next year, they gave me a quote for £4k for all new A rated windows. (12 windows).

Ive no idea if thats a normal price, its my first house and ive never looked at windows before. But as i say, our frames are good. If just new units will be significantly cheaper than new windows, and there is enough space in the frames, ill do that.

Sponsored Links
From memory i believe you just have to remove the spacer, councils as i'm sure you know are cheap skates and back then would never fit a dg window if they didn't need to, the fact that it was pvc though meant they didn't need to maintain the windows on their housing stock.

You best bet is get a double glazing doctor in, a dg company won't want to faff around, they'll sooner fob you off telling you the frames are knackered and want to sell you some of theirs.

It can be done though, the spacer is just there to take up the slack from a dgu to a single pane, you just need to calculate what you need, i'd be inclined to take the glass out of a little top opener, remove the spacer, remove the gasket from it and clip it onto the frame then put the beads back it and measure the gap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back