Worth converting to double glazing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house has single glazed upvc windows. Its ex council.
They have a wedge profile outside and on the inside there is a 12mm or so spacer between the frame and the seal.

Windows are all in good condition but i assume there pretty old.

I cant afford to fit all new windows so wondered if its worth getting slim DG units made and fitting them myself.
Other houses in the street have the same windows, but double glazed so i know its possible, but financialy is it worth it? Will slimmer units be as effective?

So i can get an idea of price, is there a general price structure, for example a price per square foot, for DG units? I know there are many different specs to choose from but have no idea what would be the most cost effective option.

The house is already fully insulated.

A seperate issue that is in the back of my mind is there are no vents in any of the windows. Should there be? If so, can they be retro-fitted?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Slim dg is better than a single pane , cost vary around the country take measurements to a few local glaziers and ask them to quote for the whole house [cheaper than doing a few at a time]. You can retro fit vents but if ex council you probably have room vents? in which case additional are not required.
If neighbours have them ask where they got them and price if they are forthcoming.

I bricked all the room vents up, hate the things.
I sealed them with tape for a while and there seemed to be no issues so they got filled.

Ill talk to some local companies, see what they say about the units.

What spec units is the best compromise of performance and price?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back