Single lever tap confusion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

By convention, with a normal two tap unit the left hand one is the hot supply.

But when you fit a single lever (ceramic) tap am I correct in my understanding that the hot flow should be controlled by moving the lever to the left.

The reason I ask is that I had such a basin tap fitted and the hot flow is vice versa i.e. I have to shift the lever to the right for the hot supply :?:

I have looked at the 'pipe tails' from the tap and they are tagged red and blue (hot &cold) presumably by the manufacturer & tracing them back in the piping they are by that marking plumbed correctly BUT as I say above this seems the wrong way round.

Please check my understanding and set my mind at rest :confused:

:)

Sponsored Links
They can be plumbed to be either, it just may have been easier for your plumber to have done it the way he has.

It just gets confusing using other taps in the house.

Okey dokey, so 'convention' is just that, 'an accepted practice'.

Yes, the reason I was asking is because it is and can be confusing if some taps are 'conventionally plimbed' and others are not as expected. A recipe for minor accidents :confused:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back