Single mains socket - on two fused circuits !?!

Sponsored Links
How many cables are there in each fuseway, not sure why people are saying two rings are affected
I don't think I've said anything about two rings (I'm much more concerned about the fact that at least one ring is seemingly supplied by fuses at each end).

However, unless done deliberately by someone without a clue, this usually happens 'accidentally' because two rings have got mixed up (with both ends of both connected to different OPDs, rather that both ends of each going to 'their own' OPD), in which case both rings would be affected.

The OP has told us that there were 'two wires' (presumably 'outgoing') connected to the first fuse he pulled, and I would suspect that the same is probably true of the second one he had to also pull to kill the circuit he wanted to work on.

Kind Regards, John

The OP has told us that there were 'two wires' (presumably 'outgoing') connected to the first fuse he pulled,
sorry, i never noticed that, i took it as 2 wires IN the socket.
I have in the past found a faulty ring and temporary split it into 2 radials with the cables capped off in connecter blocks behind 2 sockets, i suppose there is always a possibility someone could come and reconnect them, causing a similar scenario, yet with 1 cable in each way

Sponsored Links
I have in the past found a faulty ring and temporary split it into 2 radials with the cables capped off in connecter blocks behind 2 sockets, i suppose there is always a possibility someone could come and reconnect them, causing a similar scenario, yet with 1 cable in each way
Yes, I suppose that's possible. However, I think it more likely that it was either wired that way initially by an idiot, or else that the conductors got 'swapped around' at the CU when both ends of two rings were disconnected - perhaps during testing, or even a CU change.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back