Socket circuits joined togther... somewhere

The electrician didn't disconnect any wires in the consumer unit from what I remember, but used a meter to measure voltage or current between various sockets and the consumer unit. The only things he told me he found that I remember was that the shower circuit didn't power the shower, the garage circuit is only 6 amp, and when turning off either socket circuit breaker, all sockets were still live - though turning off both turns off all sockets (and the shower).
Do you have 2 showers, ie a power shower pump and a mains water electric shower? The chances are a power shower pump will be a spur on a socket ring
Is it worth just getting a different electrician and ask them to check the consumer unit first?
I'd say yes, I do feel from your description he may have been less than thorough.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Do you have 2 showers, ie a power shower pump and a mains water electric shower? The chances are a power shower pump will be a spur on a socket ring

Just the power shower. The shower circuit looks like it provides electricity to the double socket close to the consumer unit and nothing else. That socket is not on the sockets circuit.

Just the power shower. The shower circuit looks like it provides electricity to the double socket close to the consumer unit and nothing else. That socket is not on the sockets circuit.

is it a power shower pump which will likely be a 3A spur on a socket ring
My Hunch is as previously mentioned by Taylor that the 4 ring circuit cables have been mixed up in the consumer unit. Which is the first test to be made and if that is the problem is easily found by even the most dim witted electrician. It is possible he did that test, unnoticed by you as it could be very quick, and ruled it out.

Having said that I've also found where someone combined the 2 ring finals together in order to supply an electric shower heater so it is something to be investigated.

Pic of the shower unit will help.

Last edited:
Yes, I feel the electrician has been a bit of an arse telling you to sort it out, when he is the qualified (is he?) person.

I mean, he's happy to do a rewire, but can't be arsed fault finding. That to me speaks volumes about his abilities.

If he had an ounce of nous, the first thing he would have done would be to whip the cover off the board and check for cross connections on the ring final circuits, something (as others have said) that would take minutes.

I would not touch him with a bargepole, instead I would find someone else from competent person.

https://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/

Sponsored Links
Yes, I feel the electrician has been a bit of an arse telling you to sort it out, when he is the qualified (is he?) person.

I mean, he's happy to do a rewire, but can't be arsed fault finding. That to me speaks volumes about his abilities.

If he had an ounce of nous, the first thing he would have done would be to whip the cover off the board and check for cross connections on the ring final circuits, something (as others have said) that would take minutes.

I would not touch him with a bargepole, instead I would find someone else from competent person.

Sadly that's the first time I've ever checked that list and it comes up with 11 suggestions close to me. Several I know of and their reputation, One in particular is a total charlatan and I've reported him several times to NICEIC for dangerous wiring and more recently for ficticious EICR's, the very latest was over 30 each C1's & C2's and reconned he could do a full rewire in 2 days for £7K as long as the customer moves out. Customer sent a copy of the EICR for a second opinion before they committed. I went in to assist and we opened every accessory, tested every single cable etc and found; oversized RCBO feeding garage ( I think it was 32A & 1.5mm² SWA) a couple of cracked sockets and a overheated loose termination, CU was full RCBO properly labelled etc. I think we charged £400 all in and were there for ½ day, original EICR £99 & took ½hour.
This was a rental 3 bed semi plus garage.

That's not good. If you have a competent person's list, they need to be 100% trustworthy.

OOI, what was the outcome of your complaints to the NIC?

Thank you for the link

My Hunch is as previously mentioned by Taylor that the 4 ring circuit cables have been mixed up in the consumer unit. Which is the first test to be made and if that is the problem is easily found by even the most dim witted electrician. It is possible he did that test, unnoticed by you as it could be very quick, and ruled it out.

Having said that I've also found where someone combined the 2 ring finals together in order to supply an electric shower heater so it is something to be investigated.

Pic of the shower unit will help.

Here's a photo of the shower, and the very old tiles behind

shower.jpg

OOI, what was the outcome of your complaints to the NIC?
Sweet Naff all response from them to me but of course I have no idea what has gone forwards.
That's not good. If you have a competent person's list, they need to be 100% trustworthy.
It's about as good as check-a-trade, I was on there for years for domestic goods repair. I lost count of the number of times and methods I used to contact them to get removed. It took years.

Here's a photo of the shower, and the very old tiles behind

View attachment 235957
It says power shower and comparing that to other images it appears to be a power shower without a heater. Typically they are powered from a socket ring circuit using a SFCU
86116_P
with a 3A fuse. If this is the case it will go off when the socket circuit(s) swithced off.

Unrelated to the original question, but there looks to be overheating of the neutrals in this picture.

Yes, this is a socket that had a burning smell and turned out the black wires were not connected well and electricity arching.

It's (I think) where an additional 2 to 4 double sockets in the kitchen are connected. They've been running a washing machine, dish washer and cooker. I'm not currently using them. Seems a lot to be added on to the circuit like this?

It says power shower and comparing that to other images it appears to be a power shower without a heater. Typically they are powered from a socket ring circuit using a SFCU
86116_P
with a 3A fuse. If this is the case it will go off when the socket circuit(s) swithced off.

This is how mine looks to be. Thanks

Problem solved. Different electrician checked the consumer unit and put the wires back as they should have been, and now the socket circuits are not joined. Unbelievable my first electricians was suggesting the property probably needs a rewire when the issue was, as many on the forum suggested, wiring on the consumer unit. Thanks everyone for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back