Single pipe and two pipe on same boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I bought a 1961 built house with existing CH system. I have done garage conversion and new kitchen, in this work I had new boiler fitted in utility and new rads/pipework fitted in kitchen, utility, study & cloakroom, as feed and return this works great. The existing rads are all poor, only hot around feed and top and warm on remainding area, plus slow to get going.
After investigation I found out they are on single pipe system. So now I have some on feed and return plus some on single pipe, all from same boiler ? All have TRV's except hall & Bathroom towel Rad. Thermostat is in Hall, but real slow to get upto temp 20deg.
I am thinking about the pain of getting existing rads done as feed and return? Any comments welcome

Lowtemp

Sponsored Links
No problem having the mixture, the problem is certainly the wrong TRV's have been fitted on the one pipe loop.

A make/model or pic of the valves would help.

It may be possible to balance them better.

If you are not happy with the performance then have them all connected as a two pipe system.

Tony

No problem having the mixture, the problem is certainly the wrong TRV's have been fitted on the one pipe loop.

A make/model or pic of the valves would help.

TRV's are Bulldog, fitted by plumber who replaced boiler and did all new pipework.

Sponsored Links
If you favour Agiles post fine :LOL:

I'm telling you they have fitted the wrong TRV's :rolleyes: and I don't care who fitted them.

What size pipes feed the non working rads.

Thanks doitall

Funny thing is, feed pipe to TRV is red hot, but rad immediatley the other side of TRV has noticable Temp Drop. How do I go about sourcing the correct TRV's?

need lots of information before you have any chance of getting it sorted, including the pipes sizes..

Is the one pipe loop existing, and was it altered by the plumber, and if so how.

Can you draw a sketch showing the one pipe circuit, only needs to be rough but accurate.

One pipe TRV's are special and retail about £40 each.

Just because a "plumber" fitted the TRVs that does not mean they are the correct type or fitted in the right place.

A balancing valve in the bypass pipe under each one pipe rad can work wonders!

Tony

need lots of information before you have any chance of getting it sorted, including the pipes sizes..

Is the one pipe loop existing, and was it altered by the plumber, and if so how.

Can you draw a sketch showing the one pipe circuit, only needs to be rough but accurate.

One pipe TRV's are special and retail about £40 each.

one pipe loop is existing and has not been altered.

Pipes are 15mm

sorry cant sketch circuit as it is not exposed at present

So the plumber didn't fit TRV's on the one pipe circuit.

How did the plumber Join the new two pipe circuit into the old one pipe.

And stop thanking Tony I get the feeling your not taking me seriously. :rolleyes:

So the plumber didn't fit TRV's on the one pipe circuit.

How did the plumber Join the new two pipe circuit into the old one pipe.

And stop thanking Tony I get the feeling your not taking me seriously. :rolleyes:

Sorry i'm a novice blogger, thanks for your input doitall.

Yes the plumber did fir TRV's on the one pipe circuit.

I dont know how he joined the 2 pipe circuit to the one pipe circuit

guess i need more info to fully solve this

Get the plumber to put the wheel head valves back and it should work, otherwise I need the information

Just been doing an oil boiler that is on a system with a mix.
Two radiators are on flow and return
the other 6 radiators are on a single pipe.

If you think about it the single pipe works as if it is one big radiator.
Since there is a 22mm pipe running right around the single pipe system
I would suggest a valve so that you can balance the single pipe
run with the rest of the system. Otherwise the boiler will just pump the
water around the single pipe run and straight back to the boiler making
balancing up with the rest of the system difficult.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back