Single Pipe CH System-Replacement Boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother has a 60's vintage Potterton Kingfisher gas boiler. She had it serviced this week and has been told that it finally needs replacing due to corrosion, it hasn't done badly as I reckon it is around 45 years old!
However I think her rad system is a single pipe one (I think these were popular in the 60's?). It is a pumped system, not gravity, as a new pump was fitted a few years back.
My question is, can a modern condensing boiler be connected to the original single pipe system (though I realise this is not as efficient as a modern twin pipe system)? It's not so much the cost, as the disruption of ripping out the entire system. She is in her late 80's and I don't think she could cope with that.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't recommend it but if you must the glow worm flexicom would tolerate it better than most.

Sponsored Links
What exactly is the reason it needs replacing? Unless its leaking I wouldn't be surprised if you could keep it going. Given your situation I would imagine this is the most desired option.
If you do need to replace it then I wouldn't recommend 1 pipe on your average condensing boiler. A company call Kidd make boilers which tend to withstand that kind of thing pretty well, but they're pretty hefty and expensive bits of kit and start at about 28kw, so probably not a great option either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back