Single radiator stone cold, bottom and top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, am new on here. The radiator in my bedroom is stone cold, top and bottom. I've tried bleeding it from both ends, bottom and top corners, both had clear water for about a litre of water, then took out the valve insert completely and black water blasted out till clear.

However, rad is still stone cold. All other rads are fine.

Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Are both radiator valves open?
Do you have a TRV at one end? .......pin stuck?
Do you have a combi or is it a vented system?

Andy

Hi, there is a TRV 2 way,Myson at one end, that is at the full black dot, the other end just has a brass uncovered valve with a plain white cap over it. The radiator WAS warm/hot back in March, then in April sometime, it stayed cold ever since, so it did work ok, then not. How do I know if the TRV control is stuck closed? It hasn't been moved since March tho, always on full black dot.

Combi or vented? I have no idea.

Remove the trv head by undoing the knurled ring just under the plastic head and check the pin for free movement by pressing in and out. If there is no movement then tapping the valve can sometimes cause the pin to free up and spring up. I always use a pair of pilers and exert a slight sideways movement while gently pulling pin upwards. Do this only if you are sure you can do this without pulling the pin right out of the valve body. Needs a bit of feel and touch to do it that way.

Sponsored Links
Ok, so what if the spring or pin come out? Have I buggered it or is it ok to just put back in? Do I need to turn the water off or will removed the TRV knob not let water out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back