Radiator behaving badly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lounge radiator is luke warm at the top and stone cold at the bottom, have tried to bleed it took two full bowls of water of it and its still the same.. any suggestions gratefully recieved

Sponsored Links
I would try bleeding it twice. first with one valve shut and one open, then viceversa. If it bleeds ok both ways then I would not suspect a faulty valve or blockage in the pipe to valve. But if it does not bleed in one of the ways it suggests a fault in the pipe or valve you think is open.
Also it may need the balance improving by opening the lockshield valve a little more to increase the flow.
The radiator itself may have some form of blockage, which may explain why it's cold at the bottom. If sediment has rested on the bottom it would restrict the flow along the bottom. The only way would be 'up' 'across the top' and 'down'.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
when system is at highest temperature, record flow and return pipe temperatures.

Flow hot and return cold...balancing (see ref)?, pump?, blockage?

No more than an 11-20 degrees C temp between the two and rad could be sludged?

Are you others all ok...if so I think ypu can rule out the sludge problem.

Remove rad and open up valves (one by one) to ensure flow and work from there. Ive tried the shutting valve off one by one and opening the bleed valve and water has literally 'weed' out whilst still a blockage on the flow / return.

Never rule out a TRV if you have one.

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back