Rad slow to heat up fully

You should check for a internal baffle, you will have to drain down the rad and stick a bit of wire or a small dia rod into the flow and return ports, if a internal baffle is fitted it will be in ~ 100mm from one end, that is where the flow (hot) pipe must be connected. If no baffle fitted shine a light at one end and you should be able to sight it from the other. (do this first)
You can buy a baffle like this which will help to give a faster warm up IMO.
1703961300837.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You should check for a internal baffle, you will have to drain down the rad and stick a bit of wire or a small dia rod into the flow and return ports, if a internal baffle is fitted it will be in ~ 100mm from one end, that is where the flow (hot) pipe must be connected. If no baffle fitted shine a light at one end and you should be able to sight it from the other. (do this first)
You can buy a baffle like this which will help to give a faster warm up IMO.
View attachment 327111
I think it is beyond me and will need someone who knows what they are doing ;)

You should check for a internal baffle,

When heating up, top right starts to feel warm, bottom left still cold. Later on, top right is very very hot, while bottom right not cold, but luke warm
don't think it would tend to do this, if it didn't have a baffle, usually they just heat up along the bottom and then the flow heads out the return and really slowly heat the rest

@ZakUK were the rads marked with labels saying top/bottom/inlet/outlet or are the instructions still there?

don't think it would tend to do this, if it didn't have a baffle, usually they just heat up along the bottom and then the flow heads out the return and really slowly heat the rest

@ZakUK were the rads marked with labels saying top/bottom/inlet/outlet or are the instructions still there?
I doubt i have instructions left, but when i contacted the seller, they contacted the manufacturer, they didnt mention/ask which way it was installed, plus the pics of the product showed valves at the bottom.
Seller offered to replace or to refund. Shall i get another makeor is this CH problem ?

Sponsored Links
I would be inclined to take a refund and source a rad that you know has a baffle(S), (you won't be able to check it as I suggested due to the double panels), the only problem is, the hanging brackets are not universal so will probably entail drilling more holes/more expense.

Unlikely to be the problem but can you try it with the TRV head removed from the valve body, check that the pin moves in/out 4 to 5mm when you push it with a reversed hammer handle or whatever.

I doubt i have instructions left, but when i contacted the seller, they contacted the manufacturer, they didnt mention/ask which way it was installed, plus the pics of the product showed valves at the bottom.
Seller offered to replace or to refund. Shall i get another makeor is this CH problem ?
What happened with it when you turned off the other rads in sequence? Still haven't determined if the rad is at fault.

What happened with it when you turned off the other rads in sequence? Still haven't determined if the rad is at fault.
After 3 rads off, bottom left was still luke warm although the area was smaller.
Will switch off all rads and turn the heating on today. Will see what happens ..

I would be inclined to take a refund and source a rad that you know has a baffle(S), (you won't be able to check it as I suggested due to the double panels), the only problem is, the hanging brackets are not universal so will probably entail drilling more holes/more expense.

Unlikely to be the problem but can you try it with the TRV head removed from the valve body, check that the pin moves in/out 4 to 5mm when you push it with a reversed hammer handle or whatever.
Might do that and if another one behaves the same then it is not rads fault ;)

Might do that and if another one behaves the same then it is not rads fault ;)
Certainly up to you of course, bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut approach though IMO. Much easier and less invasive to just shut down the other TRV's, if the rad then heats up then there's nothing wrong with it and then the system/supply needs looked at.

Again though, it really should be the installer that's doing all this for you, that's what he was paid to do IMO.

Certainly up to you of course, bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut approach though IMO. Much easier and less invasive to just shut down the other TRV's, if the rad then heats up then there's nothing wrong with it and then the system/supply needs looked at.

Again though, it really should be the installer that's doing all this for you, that's what he was paid to do IMO.
The builders who built extension and done the rest not coming back until 2nd of jan. So trying to figure out meanwhile whats going on.
So if i shut all TRV's on other rads and it still doesnt heat up whole, whats next ?

The builders who built extension and done the rest not coming back until 2nd of jan. So trying to figure out meanwhile whats going on.
So if i shut all TRV's on other rads and it still doesnt heat up whole, whats next ?
As suggested
work your way around and start to turn off each rad, at it's TRV, starting with the closest to the column, after each one wait a few mins and see if the column starts to heat up.
It may not need every radiator turned off so I'd work through them one by one as above till it heats up or they're all off. If the rad still doesn't heat up properly then, it would move on to looking at the supply to the rad or the rad itself.

As suggested

It may not need every radiator turned off so I'd work through them one by one as above till it heats up or they're all off. If the rad still doesn't heat up properly then, it would move on to looking at the supply to the rad or the rad itself.
Got it. Thx a lot for your ideas. Ill post if there will be any new progress or what happened after turning all rads off !

So. All rads off, the extension one hot all over ! The good news is that i wont have to change it.
Balancing issue ?

What make/model boiler, oil or gas?, you may be able to increase the pump head as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back