Single Storey Extension on Wood Framed New Build???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here it goes:

We cant afford to move, but we like the area we are in, typically the same with most I presume, but our ground floor lacks in size some what!

We have one of those New Build timber framed houses with brick outer walls, built by no other than Taylor Wimpey, 3 years ago!

My question, I am not a builder, nor am I a structural engineer, we are after a single storey extension on the rear of the property, nothing to big, and nothing fancy, 6mtr x 3mtr, with a lean to roof with Velux Windows, question is how would the new extension need to be tied into the existing property, i.e. the lean to roof bit???

2nd’ly, Would the new extension need to be timber framed also or could we do a proper job of breeze blocks inner wall and brick outer???

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Regards
Rich

Sponsored Links
It can be done, but get someone with experience of timber frame to do the design. There may be limitations for any openings due to the typical panel system of construction

I'm not sure why you think that brick and block would be a "proper" job? But you can build it either way

Hi, Many thanks for youre reply, I have no idea why I think brick and block is a proper job, it just to me feels alot more sturdier!!!

As for my extension ideas, I plan to remove my current patio doors, and use them in the new extension, I believe the Lintle above this current window opening to be sufficient, without adding an RSJ.

However the Kitchen currently has a door and a window, I dont know the status of the Lintle, but if needs be I suppose an RSJ could be used!

The thing I cant get my head around the most, with the house being of timber frame construction, is how the roof will tie into the current property structurally, how will a lean to roof be supported against the outter skin of the original house??? Help in this area would be very much appreciated!

Attached are 2 pictures, one being of what I am after, but obviously my house is wooden framed internally with brick outter, and the other a very rough plan of what I want to acchieve.
Cheers Rich

Sponsored Links
You don't have to worry too much about supporting the external brick or lean-to roof, a steel beam will do it - exactly the same as with a traditional extension

The issue is how wide the knock-through openings can be, as if you can't work to the panel sizes of 1200mm, then it could mean more work adapting the frame

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back