Single Story Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Again,

I have just about to purchase a 2 bed middle property (images below) very rural with two neighbours with the intention of renovating. I have talked to the neighbour of my plans to add a small single story extension to the full width of the property. so the new extension will be 2.5m x 3.8m. I also made it aware that this would affect the 45 degree rule of his window which is between his and the new extension and he would be happy to accept this. How do I make it official as I don't want to start building and he changes his mind?

I can build this extension under permitted developments but because it falls between 3-4m from the original house this is classed as a large extension and will just have to do the neighbour notification scheme. (I'm I right?)

Anyone had anything similar?

Attachments

• m3.JPG
    m3.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 326
  • m2.JPG
    m2.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 292
  • M1.JPG
    M1.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_4052.jpg
    IMG_4052.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 310
Sponsored Links
It is unlikely to be permitted development or the neighbour notification scheme if that rear wing is original.

You have to comply with all parts of the relevant Class when extending and as that extension shown extends off both a side and a rear wall, the width of your proposed extension is limited to a maximum of half the width of the house. Although the annotations don't match up on the plans with the scale its drawn at and so it's a bit misleading but you still don't seem to benefit from either piece of legislation as the proposed side / rear extension is too wide.

It is unlikely to be permitted development or the neighbour notification scheme if that rear wing is original.

You have to comply with all parts of the relevant Class when extending and as that extension shown extends off both a side and a rear wall, the width of your proposed extension is limited to a maximum of half the width of the house. Although the annotations don't match up on the plans with the scale its drawn at and so it's a bit misleading but you still don't seem to benefit from either piece of legislation as the proposed side / rear extension is too wide.

Hi Luke,

Sorry the bath room (wing) is not original this was added at a later date. also the plans are not to scale this was just a quick annotation. Does this help my proposal by it not being original? I been trying to ask my local council but they say they don't give pre-planning application help :(

You may be able to do it under the Consultation scheme - depends how your local Council are and their interpretation. Some say if it's already started then you can't do it. However a few take the view that as it's not original, you could knock that rear wing down and then get the neighbourhood consultation scheme approved and re-build it, so hopefully they take the pragmatic approach.

I would make it clear on the submission that the rear extension is not original though.

Sponsored Links
You may be able to do it under the Consultation scheme - depends how your local Council are and their interpretation. Some say if it's already started then you can't do it. However a few take the view that as it's not original, you could knock that rear wing down and then get the neighbourhood consultation scheme approved and re-build it, so hopefully they take the pragmatic approach.

I would make it clear on the submission that the rear extension is not original though.

Thank you and the submission is that planning submission (£206) or Neighbour consultation scheme submission (Free) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back