Permitted development question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a house which I'm thinking of doing a 4m single story extension under permitted development .

https://search.savills.com/content/assets/properties/gbnhrsnos130106/NOS130106_04_gal.JPG

The problem is if you look at the picture in the link above the garden is lower than the house, will the proposed 4m extension fall foul of the 3m eaves height requirement?

Or is the height measured from the existing building level or floor level of the extension?

Attachments

• NOS130106_04_gal.JPG
    NOS130106_04_gal.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 321
Sponsored Links
It's highest adjacent, natural ground level, so it seems like it 'falls foul' to me :(

Do you think a Planning application would fail?

It's highest adjacent, natural ground level, so it seems like it 'falls foul' to me :(

Do you think a Planning application would fail?

It shouldn't fail, its just the local council rarely decides planning apps on this estate within the existing time frame and PD applications are alot quicker and im lead to believe cheaper as well?

They have also reduced PD here to 4 m as well

The relevent bit of ground to take the height measurement from is that right next to the house. So PD rights would allow such an extension.

Nakajo probably had to much sherry yesterday. :cautious:

Sponsored Links
The relevent bit of ground to take the height measurement from is that right next to the house. So PD rights would allow such an extension.

Nakajo probably had to much sherry yesterday. :cautious:

Many thanks for that response, next question is with the garden level below being so low if I wanted to put in storage under the new extension rather than fill it in would that breach planning or pd?

This would fall under building regs as I understand it and you would have to ensure that the structure would need to be compliant with thermal/ insulation requirements as well as structural.

It shouldn't fail, its just the local council rarely decides planning apps on this estate within the existing time frame and PD applications are alot quicker and im lead to believe cheaper as well?

They have also reduced PD here to 4 m as well

PS. PD is 4m on a detached property as I understand? We went this far with ours and then had to get neighbour consent (formally) as we have a 1m canopy taking it to 5m in total.

I would have to take issue with Woody here. It looks as though the house is more-or-less three stories at the rear, though we can't be certain because of the shrubbery. If this is the case, it would breach the 3m/4m height rule, though if the extension would be no nearer than 2m to either boundary at the side, it might still be OK for two-story extensions.

As a separate issue, the flat-roof extension could be problematic - if it is part of the original build, a pedantic planning officer could class the new extension as 'extending beyond a side wall...' and thus not allow it under p.d.; (there are appeal cases for and against that view, so it is a moot point).

If the idea is to demolish the existing extension, the new development would not be p.d. as there would have to be prior notification for demolition of the extension (the demolition itself does not need express planning permission, just prior notification, otherwise the new building would be unlawful).

I would have to take issue with Woody here. It looks as though the house is more-or-less three stories at the rear, though we can't be certain because of the shrubbery. If this is the case, it would breach the 3m/4m height rule, though if the extension would be no nearer than 2m to either boundary at the side, it might still be OK for two-story extensions.

As a separate issue, the flat-roof extension could be problematic - if it is part of the original build, a pedantic planning officer could class the new extension as 'extending beyond a side wall...' and thus not allow it under p.d.; (there are appeal cases for and against that view, so it is a moot point).

If the idea is to demolish the existing extension, the new development would not be p.d. as there would have to be prior notification for demolition of the extension (the demolition itself does not need express planning permission, just prior notification, otherwise the new building would be unlawful).

It is more or less 3 story due to the garden being lower but there is no access to the area underneath the existing terrace I assume it to be solid filled

Many thanks for that response, next question is with the garden level below being so low if I wanted to put in storage under the new extension rather than fill it in would that breach planning or pd?

The pertinent thing for PD is the eaves height, so if the eaves extend out, then it's just consequential if extra underfloor storage is obtained due to the ground slope. But if a full extra story is created, or some sort of full height or purpose basement is built, then that may be outside of the PD guidelines.

thanks for the clarification, to create a whole purpose built floor we would need to excavate 0.8m at garden level, it might be worth getting it done to just say a shell level at this stage to use as storage as I imagine cost wise it shouldn't add too much and therefore go down the full planning route

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back